Review of HostGator

Nile Hadwards

Account Disabled
Just for the record. I have absolutely no affiliation with HostGator. I've had so many miserable experiences with other hosting companies; it's great to be able to say that I've stuck with these guys for 1 year with no regrets.

I have a hosting with them and I can say that I'm pleased. I also have the worst experiences with other big companies as well. There is nothing worse than realizing a big host you're at considers 90% uptime a good average! >(

I even think I would take such huge downtime better if they only would announced it on time.

Ouch - 90% is not even in the ballpark!!!

Having never worked with Hostgator myself, I'm curious to know if either of you have had your sites suspended with them for excessive resource usage? Do you know what their procedure is if you use up too much CPU or Memory? Do they just turn off the site, or do they give you a heads up before disabling the site? Do they have any recourse once you're suspended (like moving you to a different server, upgrading your package etc etc). I know our own policies, and every hosting company is different, but was just curious to see how Hostgator operate in that manner.

Glad to hear all is going well for you with the host! They're certainly not as big as they are by providing bad service and bad products all the time. :)

I have one personal account with HostGator as well and can say I've not had a problem yet, although the site is still in development.

90% - ouch! There are so many reliable providers that have verifiable uptimes of 99.9+% uptimes that it's ridiculous to stay with one with that much downtime.

Ouch - 90% is not even in the ballpark!!!

Having never worked with Hostgator myself, I'm curious to know if either of you have had your sites suspended with them for excessive resource usage? Do you know what their procedure is if you use up too much CPU or Memory? Do they just turn off the site, or do they give you a heads up before disabling the site? Do they have any recourse once you're suspended (like moving you to a different server, upgrading your package etc etc). I know our own policies, and every hosting company is different, but was just curious to see how Hostgator operate in that manner.

Glad to hear all is going well for you with the host! They're certainly not as big as they are by providing bad service and bad products all the time. :)

90% was pointed at the ************. I measured a few weeks back that my sites have a downtime of about 10% on a daily basis. I confronted the support a few times and their answer was the same: they told me that they had some users on my shared server uploading files like crazy, but they allegedly took care of them. What a convenient excuse.

Sounds like a general brush off answer. It's POSSIBLE that it's true, but it's just too generic for my liking! 10% within an hour is possible, heck, I'll even give the benefit of the doubt and say for a period of 6 hours - however more than that, if their monitoring program or staff are not catching it, there's a problem.

I certainly do not have a first hand experience with running servers but that answer was served to me twice, so I'm kinda suspicious too.

Good to hear that HostGator is doing a good job for you.

If you don't mind my asking, what do you currently have with them? (Dedicated Server, VPS, Shared..)

Hostgator

I'm with Hostgator and can say I'm really happy with them so far (been about 6 months). They were there when I needed them on Boxing Day to help me move a site and they're always pretty helpful.

Uptime has been good - no complaints from me.:D

I used Hostgator for a month about a year ago, It was nice but I just felt like another statistic to them. So I moved to a smaller company and HostGator is still invoicing me last time i check they want me to pay them over $300 to release the files and that was after I canceled. To bad I moved.