Review: Dathorn

EvilHaider

After my old webhost NOC24 disappeared off the face of the earth, I did some searching and settled with Dathorn. They seem to have a good reputation on hosting forums all over the net. I read through their forums and liked what I saw. Plenty of people were waiting for them to start accepting orders again (They stopped while adding new servers, which is a good indication that they dont overload their servers). I signed up 3-4 days ago and have not yet had to avail myself of their support services. At $13.50/month for 2gig/30gig plan, their rate is quite low for the service they seem to offer to their clients. In the next few days I'll need to request a dedicated IP and help in installing an SSL cert. I'll update this thread at that time with a review of how their support is. So far so good - the setup was very easy. The WHM Panel is not created automatically. They create it for you and send you an email. I got this within just a few hours of signing up and was able to start loading my sites right away. All I had to do once i finished uploading the content was go to my registrar and change the IP's for my nameservers from my old host to the new ip's they provided to me via email. It took 24-48 hrs as expected and now everything seems to be working allright.

One note however is that in all the reviews and threads I have read about Dathorn, it is clearly stated that they don't do a lot of 'hand holding' with newbies. They can and do support the more difficult issues but as can be expected, if you have never used WHM/Cpanel you will be asked to read the manuals and get familiar with them, and this is stated quite clearly in many forums. If you know your way around Cpanel/WHM, I dont imagine you'd need much support in the everyday things.

Had some issues last month with sites loading really slow - lasted a couple of days. Checked their forums and it said the datacenter 'The Planet' was having these issues and many other hosts were affected as well. My sites never went down but some others did. They were good about posting relevant info in a timely manner though.

their main site was offline for a while with a message up about some server troubles. I have not heard anything else bad with them

I have been using them for around a year already and what can I say? They are the best Web Hosting company I've ever used. They have around 7 experienced support managers and you get your support tickets answered in half-hour or less. They have great servers and uptime, also they provide Uptime links with the paid service of alertra and it's really accurate, it's actually a great Web Hosting Company.