reselling over having your own servers

is reselling over having your own servers more lucrative? I'm guessing reselling costs less but pays you less.

I would add having a anonymous Hostname, would add certain plus to your business.

But, nowadays with the good prices you can get for a good vps, it is useless to have a reseller account.

I would add having a anonymous Hostname, would add certain plus to your business.

But, nowadays with the good prices you can get for a good vps, it is useless to have a reseller account.

Anonymous hostnames are now standard in the reseller hosting industry - most providers offer them

Anyone who has a successful Resellers business should decide at some point whether to invest in their own equipment or not. This depends of the contract a Reseller has with a web host.

Depends, do you want to shell out the money to hire a systems administrator. Do you also want to outsource your support when you are unavailable, most support tickets go for $3. When you purchase a reseller, that is usually included!

Having a reseller account means you have less to worry about since you don't own the server. You're just leasing space and bandwidth. So if any hardware problems do arise, you won't have to pay to fix them. It's the responsibility of the server owner, in this case, your web host, to get it fixed and ensure maximum uptime otherwise you have the choice of moving to a more reliable host.

In order to own a server, you'll either need to buy or rent one. Either way, it will cost a hell of a lot more and if you don't have too many resold accounts, it would be difficult for you to make a profit at the end of each billing cycle.

Owning your own dedicated server is a whole lot of work and entalis a much, much greater level of responsibility and liability. With reseller hosting, you're more than likely to get all the features and resources you need to start earning and generate revenues. Why would you want to buy something if you're not going to use it? It's like buying a 10 room house when you're only ever going to use 2. :)