RaQ3/4 email

mamakap

Hi,

First questions
I had been trying to understand how does this Cobalt server email Hosts/Domains relay and Aliases works, it is very confusing!!! :confused: Does anybody can explain, what are the difference between Hosts/Domains relay and Aliases??

Second questions
Does anyone know how to configure the server to prevent users using my server as SMTP??
:confused:

Thanks

Last edited:
mamakap said:
Hi,

First questions
I had been trying to understand how does this Cobalt server email Hosts/Domains relay and Aliases works, it is very confusing!!! :confused: Does anybody can explain, what are the difference between Hosts/Domains relay and Aliases??

As for relay:
"To allow a remote user to send and receive email, add their computer name, IP network, or Internet domain name to this list."
It is a spam prevention method...

As for aliases... if you set up an alias for the "mamakap" pop3 account, and the alias is mamakap2@mamakap.com all email sent to the "virtual" email address mamakap2@mamakap.com will be delivered to the POP3 account mamakap...

mamakap said:
Second questions
Does anyone know how to configure the server to prevent users using my server as SMTP??
:confused:

You could try and get a firewall from www.freshmeat.net or www.sourceforge.net or so and then block port 25...

I am able to receive the email, but some how I am not able to send the email from my server. I am getting a delaying denied error message

Here is the output

The message could not be sent because one of the
recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected
e-mail address was 'pnuli@nihas.com'. Subject 'test',
Account: 'pop.eclus.com', Server: 'smtp.eclus.com',
Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550
<pnuli@nihas.com>... Relaying denied', Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Realying denied messages simply mean that the IP address that is sending the message (i.e., the IP address of your comptuer where your mail client is running) isn't in the list of authorized hosts.....

which mail server are you running?

As to the earlier post - you don't really need a firewall - you just need to configure the server to reuire POP authentication before the user is allowed to send e-mail...much more effective espically for your customers on the server...either that or to configure the SMTP server to use SMTP authentication - but that requires that your customers configure their email clients differently which many of them won't want to do and may have trouble doing

As you are finding out the server is already setup NOT to relay email from domains or IPs not specifically listed in the relay area. You need to put in the domain or IPs that you will be sending mail to the server from. I am not sure about designating large blocks (e.g. 192.168.1.0/24) as I am not sure if the Cobalt interface will accept CIDR notation and also you need to be careful opening up other IPs especially if you are using DHCP assigned DSL, cable modem or dialup. Give us some more info on your connection (not your servers) and I am sure we can help you out.