pricing - dang!

shockym

I am thinking about switched who we use for domain registrations, right now it almost feels like we are barely breaking even. Are others caught up in the rise with prices, who did you swap over to?

I am thinking about switched who we use for domain registrations, right now it almost feels like we are barely breaking even. Are others caught up in the rise with prices, who did you swap over to?

we class domain registrations as an additional service, so we charge very little over what we pay as we make our money from the web hosting.

Pretty much every registrar has been raising their prices to compensate for their own costs.
If you feel like you are barely breaking even then it's time to evaluate your own pricing structure.

Nobody can make a living on just selling domains alone. With some hosting providers you can get domains FREE when you pay for 6 months or 1 year at a time.

We don't we consider the domain business really a business unless you can buy direct. Being a reseller off a reseller is hardly worth doing.

We don't we consider the domain business really a business unless you can buy direct. Being a reseller off a reseller is hardly worth doing.

we have an account with a resellerclub reseller and the prices we are given are good prices, but we took the decision that rather try and compete with the likes of 123-reg and namecheap we would look at our base prices and add a liitle to these that would cover the payment processor fees and give us a small profit (50p to £1) per domain and then make our money though hosting. this has worked for us for the last 7 years

we have an account with a resellerclub reseller and the prices we are given are good prices, but we took the decision that rather try and compete with the likes of 123-reg and namecheap we would look at our base prices and add a liitle to these that would cover the payment processor fees and give us a small profit (50p to £1) per domain and then make our money though hosting. this has worked for us for the last 7 years

To be honest, 123-reg are pretty easy to compete, well for me anyway.

Namecheap is fairly cheap, sort of my price range.
Anything from a Domain sale is a good profit, it is a side line nothing big.

As people say hosting is your main income.

But I found Domains to be half decent for a small profit.

To be honest, 123-reg are pretty easy to compete,

they are with .uk domains, but for others i find them expensive. i only used 123 and namecheap as examples. I have used these for many years for personal domains (before i started to offer domains myself)

A friend of mine registered his domains with a registrar that charge $3 for a .com domain name (for the first year). I cannot recall the registrar but it is not one of the popular registrars.

A friend of mine registered his domains with a registrar that charge $3 for a .com domain name (for the first year). I cannot recall the registrar but it is not one of the popular registrars.

Thing is, their prices then just go up.

All it ever is, a con, lure you into a false sense of security, gain popularity, then bang.

Thing is, their prices then just go up.

All it ever is, a con, lure you into a false sense of security, gain popularity, then bang.

Any examples of that?
If you get a .com domain for $3 first year even if the price goes up to $12 subsequently you are still doing pretty well for a couple of years of domain registration. You can always transfer afterward.

Any examples of that?
If you get a .com domain for $3 first year even if the price goes up to $12 subsequently you are still doing pretty well for a couple of years of domain registration. You can always transfer afterward.

It is right though.... OVH did free .co.uk's for a long while, then prices wen't up once they got popular.

Fair enough if they tell you the price it will be to renew, but if not, it is no good.

OVH did free .co.uk's for a long while,
yes they did but it was only .co.uk domains registered for 1 year and you were unable to transfer the domain away within the year.

currently you will find sites like fxdomains.com doing .info domains at $0.99 for the first year then this dramatically jumps when you come to renew.

You can always transfer afterward.

It actually is the idea, because in the second year and beyond you have to pay around $15 for the domain. So you register a domain name with the registrar, than transfer it to another registrar, maybe Namecheap.

It actually is the idea, because in the second year and beyond you have to pay around $15 for the domain. So you register a domain name with the registrar, than transfer it to another registrar, maybe Namecheap.

unless they have a block on transferring away like OVH did

Our bulk is in hosting but still its part of the deal, domains go with hosting & hosting goes with domains. I guess it just bummed me out a tad thinking back to years ago when the world was peachy and everything worked like clockwork. Oh wait, that was a movie, wasn't it? :)

Our bulk is in hosting but still its part of the deal, domains go with hosting & hosting goes with domains. I guess it just bummed me out a tad thinking back to years ago when the world was peachy and everything worked like clockwork. Oh wait, that was a movie, wasn't it? :)

true and if you wanted a domain you had to go to a main registrar, you could not get these from small time hosts etc.

Yea, that part I know which is what we need to setup a good game plan for. I have a feeling there is one specific client that will be a biggie (he collects domains) but otherwise it should be smooth sailing.