Premium Domain Names

cyclonehosting

Hey all,
I was wondering, do any of you have experience with acquiring a premium domain name that is for sale? Did you have to pay the entire price or how were you able to get the premium domain name?

I purchased two premium domains in my life. Buying it at a discount takes patience.

What worked for me is a combination of things.

- mention that you have narrowed your search to a few domains, to convey that you have options;
- if the asking price is too high, inform the seller that it is outside of your budget currently, but not by much (if that's in fact true);
- if he doesn't budge on price, tell him you'll have to think about it;
- if you really want the name, see if any other gTLD is available with same keyword that might work for you. Buy it and setup, if possible, a landing page;
- approach the seller again saying that you have purchased the same keyword domain in another extension that theoretically would work as well, but you'd prefer the .com if possible at an X price. When someone sets a website running with the same keyword, it slightly diminishes domain value, in my perspective. Only because anyone else wanting to get into the same name will now know he won't be able to protect the name by buying the secondary gTLD extension.

Both times I was able to cut a better price. The first time around 40%, the second about 15%.

I purchased two premium domains in my life. Buying it at a discount takes patience.

What worked for me is a combination of things.

- mention that you have narrowed your search to a few domains, to convey that you have options;
- if the asking price is too high, inform the seller that it is outside of your budget currently, but not by much (if that's in fact true);
- if he doesn't budge on price, tell him you'll have to think about it;
- if you really want the name, see if any other gTLD is available with same keyword that might work for you. Buy it and setup, if possible, a landing page;
- approach the seller again saying that you have purchased the same keyword domain in another extension that theoretically would work as well, but you'd prefer the .com if possible at an X price. When someone sets a website running with the same keyword, it slightly diminishes domain value, in my perspective. Only because anyone else wanting to get into the same name will now know he won't be able to protect the name by buying the secondary gTLD extension.

Both times I was able to cut a better price. The first time around 40%, the second about 15%.

Interesting tips :)

I've myself been looking forward for a particular premium domain (which I can see that its for sale) to expire, hoping the owner simply gives up and doesn't renew, so I can register, but in vein since the past few years. Now planning on actually making a deal to the owner.

Interesting tips :)

I've myself been looking forward for a particular premium domain (which I can see that its for sale) to expire, hoping the owner simply gives up and doesn't renew, so I can register, but in vein since the past few years. Now planning on actually making a deal to the owner.

If it's in the expiration phase, and if it isn't a .com, it might be economically more feasible to try to grab it with domain drop software. Use 3-4 top domain dropping services to increase your chance.
If it is in fact a .com, which is still the king in the world of gTLDs, you may have a better shot negotiating directly with the owner. If someone else grabs it, you don't know how greedy they are going to be.

If the domain is for sale and about to expire then 9/10 it will be registered by one of the domain sellers like sedo