Plesk has improved drastically

webling

I think it must be 8 or 9 years since I have used Plesk and it was quite lacking so moving to cPanel at that time was a good thing. But going back to Plesk now I see they have improved a LOT. I don't feel like I am missing anything any more.

One thing I liked back then is when I created sub-directories I could create them under /subs/forum/public_html or a similar path that would serve forums.yourdomain.tld. When I moved to cPanel back then I could do the same. But somewhere along the line cPanel forced the admin to create subdomains in the domain directory itself such as /public_html/subs/forum and I hated that. Now going back to Plesk I can create the paths I want.

My very first Linux server I ran out of my home without a control panel and I edited the configuration files directly. That was about 20 years ago and I liked the power and flexibility I had doing it that way. But when I started my web hosting company you just can't do things that way because clients don't have access to that and they need a control panel for obvious reasons.

Hey, I am sold on Plesk! My installation seems to load a bit sluggishly sometimes, but I will figure it out. I has come a long way and I like it every bit as good as cPanel, especially for the price.

I was just looking at a guy's DirectAdmin setup and I was totally blown away! It was sharp and had all the features that I would need. It does look like cPanel has priced itself out of the market except for the top 5 percent of hosting companies.

Hey, I am sold on Plesk! My installation seems to load a bit sluggishly sometimes, but I will figure it out. I has come a long way and I like it every bit as good as cPanel, especially for the price.

I was just looking at a guy's DirectAdmin setup and I was totally blown away! It was sharp and had all the features that I would need. It does look like cPanel has priced itself out of the market except for the top 5 percent of hosting companies.

I'm considering either DirectAdmin or CWP eventually.

Shame it is owned by the same greedy people who own cPanel and shafted everyone.

Wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it.

CWP is bit buggy, but will definitely good compared to the other paid alternatives (I am not comparing to DA/Plesk/cPanel) . And compared to DirectAdmin, Plesk has better UI. But yes, design perception and perspective is relative :) And I would say compared to past, Plesk has improved a lot

Yes I agree 100% that it is not having better UI compared to cPanel, but isn't it paper_lantern theme which changed the UI for cPanel ? Before that x3 was just average.

However more than the UI, we as a support team for hosting businesses, face delays because of the lack of direct Plesk support for end licensee. Even as I write this post, my team is stuck on an issue with migration manager, but since the client licenses are external, we are not be able to raise the ticket directly with Plesk.

Plesk expects us to raise a ticket with partner and the partner in turn have to raise a ticket on behalf of the customer. Issue is that not many partners would do that, because of the low margins which they operate in.

Yes and if you think about it cPanel have just adopted the structure plesk have used for years

Welp, Even though I have had some serious issues with Plesk after getting into it, I still like it. But they have made some drastic mistakes that I simply hate. I did give them my review when they asked me and I was fair and honest which was not to their advantage. But only after setting up another server, installing CWP and testing it which I like far better. I moved a few domains to CWP and they are working flawlessly now.

One of the major problems with Plesk is the firewall is by default set up to the strictest settings which made all WordPress sites on my network to malfunction because the site owners could not see everything in the admin area. It was all messed up and nothing worked. I tried setting up new billing scriptures that had to connect to a data base, everyone I tried to set up did not install because it DID NOT connect to the data base because Plesk by default set the firewall settings to the max. It was like, wait foks, who is the admin on this network, me or Plesk? It seemed that Plesk had put things into their control panel based on their own thoughts, not mine. When I installed CWP on my newest server, they did not do that. There were notifications that popped up alerting me to those facts, but let me decide if I wanted to implement them. I LOVED that, they did not try and take over and make my decisions for me. In Plesk, I had to go into every subscription that used WordPress and change the firewall from on to detection only. When I allowed the firewall to do whatever it wanted, countless sites on my network went hay wired. Wordpress sites were down, the top forums didn't even show up and there was much more. I had to go into every subscription and set the firewall to detect only. I was like, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me Plesk? And I handed it to them on a dirty shovel when I submitted my reviews to them after they requested it of me.

I am so sick and tired of a Control Panel trying to run my company for me that even though I just changed to Plesk after leaving cPanel, both those companies are now terminated and fired.

CWP is so intuitive and easy and I am already very happy with them. Granted they do have things built in to get you to send money, but I'm one of the few cRaZy people that ran my first linux server out of my home on my own wire and edited the configuration files and made everything work. The only reason I ever went to using any kind of control panel is because I started a web hosting company and clients needed it.

At this point, CWP is the best in my limited opinion. And aside from that for me, it is the best in my own experience and I am updating my entire network with CWP and replacing every server.

Last edited:
Welp, Even though I have had some serious issues with Plesk after getting into it, I still like it. But they have made some drastic mistakes that I simply hate. I did give them my review when they asked me and I was fair and honest which was not to their advantage. But only after setting up another server, installing CWP and testing it which I like far better. I moved a few domains to CWP and they are working flawlessly now.

One of the major problems with Plesk is the firewall is by default set up to the strictest settings which made all WordPress sites on my network to malfunction because the site owners could not see everything in the admin area. It was all messed up and nothing worked. I tried setting up new billing scriptures that had to connect to a data base, everyone I tried to set up did not install because it DID NOT connect to the data base because Plesk by default set the firewall settings to the max. It was like, wait foks, who is the admin on this network, me or Plesk? It seemed that Plesk had put things into their control panel based on their own thoughts, not mine. When I installed CWP on my newest server, they did not do that. There were notifications that popped up alerting me to those facts, but let me decide if I wanted to implement them. I LOVED that, they did not try and take over and make my decisions for me. In Plesk, I had to go into every subscription that used WordPress and change the firewall from on to detection only. When I allowed the firewall to do whatever it wanted, countless sites on my network went hay wired. Wordpress sites were down, the top forums didn't even show up and there was much more. I had to go into every subscription and set the firewall to detect only. I was like, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me Plesk? And I handed it to them on a dirty shovel when I submitted my reviews to them after they requested it of me.

I am so sick and tired of a Control Panel trying to run my company for me that even though I just changed to Plesk after leaving cPanel, both those companies are now terminated and fired.

CWP is so intuitive and easy and I am already very happy with them. Granted they do have things built in to get you to send money, but I'm one of the few cRaZy people that ran my first linux server out of my home on my own wire and edited the configuration files and made everything work. The only reason I ever went to using any kind of control panel is because I started a web hosting company and clients needed it.

At this point, CWP is the best in my limited opinion. And aside from that for me, it is the best in my own experience and I am updating my entire network with CWP and replacing every server.

One thing i hated about cpanel was when they introduced autoSSL on a WHM upgrade and this was active by default, so without you as a host been made aware cpanel gave all your customers a free SSL for all accounts on the server, which cpanel could not see my issue when i explained to them that like me a lot of hosts sold SSL certs and clients are just after an SSL for their sites, so they would take a free one over paying their hosts for one, so a hosts profits would drop.

and guess what cpanels reply was, they removed my cpanel licence to my IP without telling me and refunded me 12 mths licence fees even though cpanel fees were part of my vps costs as the guy on then cpanel ticket reported to saying i was insulting and abusive as i suggested the autossl setting should have been disabled by default

One thing i hated about cpanel was when they introduced autoSSL on a WHM upgrade and this was active by default, so without you as a host been made aware cpanel gave all your customers a free SSL for all accounts on the server, which cpanel could not see my issue when i explained to them that like me a lot of hosts sold SSL certs and clients are just after an SSL for their sites, so they would take a free one over paying their hosts for one, so a hosts profits would drop.

and guess what cpanels reply was, they removed my cpanel licence to my IP without telling me and refunded me 12 mths licence fees even though cpanel fees were part of my vps costs as the guy on then cpanel ticket reported to saying i was insulting and abusive as i suggested the autossl setting should have been disabled by default

I agree. At first I liked it because it was working really well and saving us money. But later what I saw is that it was no longer reliable.

Now that I use Plesk, I see they have something similar so I am waiting to see what happens with that and if it's going to be consistently good or deteriorate over time.

CWP has something in it like that also, but because I'm new to this control panel there is still a lot I have not explored yet. I'm not using it in production yet, I just have a small server I installed it on and I host a few of my smaller sites on it. Time will tell what ends up working.

I remember using Plesk a few years ago but moved away due to client needs and wants.

Here's part of the key with Plesk. You need a server with a LARGE hard drive. This is what is helping me with my new business model and many clients now lined up for hosting accounts. I am servicing new accounts every day now. This thang took off like a rocket once I got it figured out using Plesk. 'nuff said.

I agree on the Plesk improvement. And after the high price rise for cPanel, a lot of users have considered moving to Plesk.

but a lot of people dont understand that Plesk and cPanel are owned by the same company and also Plesk operate the same way cPanel has started to do and have done for many years

Plesk is decent but seem to have fairly consistent issues with bugs that imo should not be popping up on production code, especially so frequently.

Support is decent. Myself I don't offer shared hosting but maintain some servers for my own projects. Wordpress sites go onto a Gridpane VM, most everything else on DirectAdmin.

I predict a cPanel / Plesk development and support degradation in the next months/years as the owners are a group of investors now and all they want is more profits.