Picked Up A New Domain - "makeabackup.com"

bigredseo

HD Community Advisor
Staff member
I say this so often during our Weekly Facebook Live shows that Kim went and bought t-shirts!

Make a Backup!

If you can't remember when you made a backup, make another!

So, when she showed me the proof on the t-shirts (before printing) I thought.. hmmm.. is that domain available?

Guess what? It was! So I bought it ($300 - a bargain of a deal).

It was registered many years ago, had a few different variations on content back in 2004-2007, and then a whole different shift including forums in 2010-2014. In early 2020, the database looks to have gone offline and the site sat dormant.

So, now I own it :) :D

Aside from the usual Adsense (which, looking at the keyword phrase list it seems very attractive), and aside from potential affiliate links with various backup places, I'm thinking of doing a bunch of How-To type articles/videos on making backups of just about anything. From websites to phones, to bookmarks. Even my mom needs a refresher every few weeks on making backups of her Pictures Folder on her computer.

So there are my ideas on the domain. Have you stumbled upon a domain that was ripe for the picking?

Great and catchy, aged dot-com. You could not have asked for a better name, and for that price. You can definitely make something out of it and become an authority website for backup related questions.

Conor you will still get people who dont get it and then shout at their host as they lost their files and dont have a backup and expect the host to have 1 or give them a copy of their backed up site

Conor you will still get people who dont get it and then shout at their host as they lost their files and dont have a backup and expect the host to have 1 or give them a copy of their backed up site

Right now there is a person on webhostingtalk.com who is ranting against his hosting provider for destroying his business.

His account, with his VPS where he hosted his customer's websites and the daily backup of the VPS, got deleted because of miscommunication between him and his host's support.

He had an extra backup; on the same VPS. :)

2 weeks ago I picked up a DR28 .com keyword domain for WordPress guides the day it was deleted.

Today I picked up the .com version of one of my .dk domains. The domain was deleted yesterday.

Total cost 30€.

He had an extra backup; on the same VPS. :)

People like that dont deserve to be host as they dont have a clue.

when i was hosting i just had 2 cheap VPS (less than $5 a mth) from different providers where i did a daily backup to one and then mirrored that backup to the other

So there are my ideas on the domain. Have you stumbled upon a domain that was ripe for the picking?

Yes, many times, as I used these domains for SEO. And even more domain names, that would really could turn to something good, but:

1. I have no time to create content for them.
2. I'm not into selling domains.

So it turns out, that I just like picking domain names, but I do nothing with them actually :)

2 weeks ago I picked up a DR28 .com keyword domain for WordPress guides the day it was deleted.

Today I picked up the .com version of one of my .dk domains. The domain was deleted yesterday.

Total cost 30€.

Great move to secure the .com :thumbup:

Here is my very recent domain story. 3 or 4 years ago I picked up a name: chemistry (io) for around $380 because I thought it was a great dictionary name and it could have nice application not only in science, education, pharmaceutical industries, but also fields like dating. Not to mention it generates up to 1 million monthly searches according to Google, with low bid competition.

Just as I bought it, I forgot about it. Until last week when I was approached by someone offering 5x the price I paid, out of the gate. In an attempt to educate myself, I approached a couple of established domain investors and private sellers (NOT brokers), who mutually placed domain's value between $7500-$20,000 range.

I am not a professional domainer, but back 3 years ago I saw that .io was trending and was among the top gTLDs that attracted VC funding at the time (still does), so I guessed it was probably a promising long-term position. Just didn't expect it to grow THIS quick. The investors I spoke with are still bullish on .io today.

PS: I didn't sell it. Decided to let time and luck to do its thing for a while. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hostys