Overbranding?

talkwebhosts.co

It has come to my conclusion lately that there are a couple of companies out there that are actually overbranding within our industry. To be honest with you I think people get sick of seeing the same companies advertise over and over again. This mainly occurs on the you know where website (cough uhhhhhhhm wht uhmmmmm). In my opinion overbranding can actually hurt a company. What do you all feel?

:confused:

I don't know if there is such a thing as overbranding. outside of spam and annoying branding techniques what is the real harm of seeing a banner all the time. The real negative imo is that you as a consumer get numb over advertising in general.

Like they say, any publicity (even bad) is good publicity. I wouldn't go that far, but staying in the minds of folks is what it is all about.

Al: I think he was referring to Overloading of the server(s)

If that is what you are saying TheReason. I feel it can hurt your business as people will say "My site takes a long time to load, do not host with XYZ etc.." also it will put stress on you as a business owner. If you have 3k sites on one server I would consider that overloading. On the other hand if you have 3k domains that are pointing away from your server you should be fine etc.. ie. ppc pages

In a way I created that word. Companies like Site 5 are starting to infiltrate the hosting market with so called, "overbranding" techniques. I feel that this can get to a point where an individual is actually tired of seeing the ads, unless there is something unique or insightful about them. It is kind of like the coke and pepsi story, we know they exsist but they always have a unique way of capturing the audience time and time again. Companies like Site 5 need to find this way or else they could be headed into a downward spiral as opposed to the upward flow of things.

The Site5 banners are just plain annoying. However, it seems to be working for them. I don't feel that a company can advertise too much. However, it would be nice if the Site5 ads were a little more restricted. Unfortunately, their banners seem to make claims which simply aren't all too true. Claiming to be the best webhost out there (like in some of their previous ads) isn't tasteful, and simply isn't true.

I think, "overbranding" is only possible in certain industries.

For example, Coca-Cola is what they call a "convenience" product. So, they try to market anywhere and everywhere they can.

I guess I have mixed feelings. In this industry, there are plenty of quality hosts. So, name recognition is key.
Site5 thinks they have a "product differentiation"... so they focus on the key differences with their services and other companies. Acutally, as annoying as their ads are, I think they're working.

...my thoughts...

CLCook said:
I think, "overbranding" is only possible in certain industries.

For example, Coca-Cola is what they call a "convenience" product. So, they try to market anywhere and everywhere they can.

I guess I have mixed feelings. In this industry, there are plenty of quality hosts. So, name recognition is key.
Site5 thinks they have a "product differentiation"... so they focus on the key differences with their services and other companies. Acutally, as annoying as their ads are, I think they're working.

...my thoughts...
The ads are definitely working. When I go to sleep I feel Site 5 has casted a hypnotic spell on my subliminal dreams. :eek:

Personally "overbranding" would hurt any company if the product/services are not goos enough.
Else it is alright
Yes customers will find it annoying after a certain time but still......
it is worth it if it gets you customers.
i myself dont go for advertising but go for word of mouth more than anything else.

I hate to say it, but annoying as it is I think overbranding does work. It might not be as prominent in the hosting industry yet; but most companies seem to want their ads out there as much and in as many places as possible for the subliminal effect it has on your recognition of their logo.

qwidjib0 said:
I hate to say it, but annoying as it is I think overbranding does work. It might not be as prominent in the hosting industry yet; but most companies seem to want their ads out there as much and in as many places as possible for the subliminal effect it has on your recognition of their logo.
One of these days we will be able to look at the financials of these so called "Titans of Hosting", until then we will just be speculating.