ok iam stuck totalwebtalk.com

webuyhosts

I have built up my forum a little but need some help on where to go to get alot more memebers posating an joining the board, please post back if you have any ideas,

Well, you can't brainwash people to get them to post, but you could consider a link exchange program. Talk to some friends to have them help you get it started. Chances are people won't join something if it says 3 members. But if you can get some friends to join and start some conversations to make it seem a bit more active, people might jump in and try to feel at home.

EDIT: Just saw your forums and noticed that you have 92 members. Not bad at all! You'll grow. People usually tell their friends if they enjoy your forums.

Getting them to join is easy.

Not long ago we implemented an automatic forum registration script, when the customer signs up for hosting. This of course didn't help for the clients we had prior to implementing the script, but builds up your member base automatically, as you get hosting clients.

Getting them to post is a completely different story.

You may think about implementing a store (similar to what HD has). It will promote posting for rewards. Make sure to keep your rules tidy though. You don't want people posting pointless garbage, just to get points.

In your store, you can sell a month of hosting, t-shirts, software, for say...100 points, etc.

They build up their points by posting.

Make sure to post all of your company's announcements in the board. Also consider adding support related forums, to promote the posting of questions.

The thing I found is ... you have to have active participation in the forum by the forum owner and/or moderators (or similar).

I had a forum on my website ... and I had 2 moderators. It was going "great guns" until I had a health setback and I wasn't able to spend time on the computer. The moderators slacked off ... everyone stopped posting. New members would post something that went unanswered. The forum died a quick but horrible death.

Its great when the membership is active enough to keep things going ... but in the two other forums I am a member of now ... if the membership slows in its postings and responses and if the slack isn't immediately taken up by the owner & moderators ... the forum slows to a stop. In one forum it can go from 30 to 40 active subjects a day to 3 or 4 within a period of a week.

JMHO
Peter

IMO for forums it is very important to have a core group of active and knowledgeable members, but they don't have to be moderators. In fact, the goal should be that not only moderators are "hyperactive", but some of the regular memebers as well. Temporary/passing through members are a given as long as you have some mildly targetted traffic to the forum, but your first focus should be to spot the important members and make them stick to your forum.

Over at sitepoint.com there are some interesting guides/articles regarding forums: http://www.sitepoint.com/subcat/community-strategy

Hello

MOD NOTE: Post removed. That constitutes advertising and is restricted to the marketplace section. Thank you for understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have currently built a forum up in just over one month from 98 members and 50 uniques per day to 377 members, 75% active and 700-800 uniques daily.

It takes a great deal of time and effort, a little bit of money for advertising doesn't go a miss either! :)

How much money did you spend on advertising? What forms of advertising worked best for you?

I wonder why TalkFreeLance has chosen to leave this wonderful community. One can only ponder...

Last edited:
He did not chose to leave the community. The account was disabled on account that a rule was broken (one account per person).

webfreak08 said:
Oh...I guess someone can't just "leave" HostingDiscussion.
You can certainly leave on your own, but then we'll have to ask our mafia friends to pay you a visit. :shh:

Isn't that the offer you can't refuse? :devil:

Xcel_Hosting said:
Wait....we have mafia friends. You didn't tell me about that!
Shhh!! They don't like it when we talk about them in public.
They can't read well, but they are always watching... :shaky: