Offline billing management program to be released this week

BlackStorm

Hey all,
Wanted to let people know that I will be releasing a program most likely tomorrow for offline billing management.

I have been working on this for a while and recently hired an extra coder who has also been working on the program.

A lot of hosts want to save details offline for their clients, including myself, which is why I decided to write this program.

A lot is planned, and quite a lot has been done on it recently.

It currently works in all versions of windows and is to be tested for linux.

All data is stored in a MySQL database which allows the integration of an online script.

The first public beta should be available tomorrow (Monday 15th March) as I said and it will be free of charge.

More details can be found on www.BillVoice.com but most information is not available on the site until the program is out of beta (Because of the large number of changes that could occur and the information would quickly go out of date)

if anyone has any questions just ask :)

Thanks
John

Im very interested in seeing this also :)
I dont think there is anything for offline billing management, not specially for hosting anyway

Thanks Andrew and Robert :)
There are instructions on how to get it working but its pretty simple.
Also done a quick guide on how to use everything last night which I will put up today

I am planning on using this software as well, I can bulid a great backend to a website in PHP, maybe we use it as an add-in for the software. :) Let me know what you think John.

Hey Brent :)
Thanks but I have hired a coder who will be working on a script to integrate it for a few online things also :)

What kind of thing are you thinking of for an add-in?

If you have any comments, or suggestions for the program I would really appreciate it if you could post them on the forum :)

Thanks
John

John,

Well, it does not look like it will run on Linux under a null wine enviroment. I did not install mySQL (didn't know that was required...) but I think it errored out way before it would even look for mySQL.

If your direction is mySQL then I will wait until you have a web version. It just does not make much sience to run these services on a PC where they should be ran from a server. I still like the idea of a stand alone program.

What I will do is install mySQL on my Windows machine at home. It never gets used and will see how your program looks. I just don't want to install extra services on my Linux laptop and slow it down.

Hey Robert,
If you wanted you could run it from an external database, including one on your own hosting server.
All you have to do is import the SQL dump to your external server and connect to that instead of localhost.
Having MySQL to store the data has a few advantages, for large/medium businesses, they can all connect to the one server and store data, and its updated in real time instead of running the program on one PC, or running it on all computers and having to compile the data together.
This way the data is shared between the users.
MySQL also means its very easy to have something online which can be integrated into the program, for example, letting users signup online, then the data can be imported o your offline program so you dont have to manually add clients, clients can also edit their details etc.

Overall using MySQL means there is a lot more options available for the future and it makes it easier to manage clients if using more than one computer, even from more than one location, for billing and client management.

If your direction is mySQL then I will wait until you have a web version.

Robert, have you tried connecting to your hosting server?
Just create the database named Hosting and import the sql dump (Small enough for phpmyadmin) and connect to the IP of your server.

John,

I will try that again tonight. I forgot about the remote mySQL option I have. I will setup the DB then try it from Linux and if Linux does not work will do it from Windows.

The web site looks like it has some badass potential there John. Can;'t wait until you get product information + a few screen shots up there.

Im going to download your software tomorrow and take it from there. I'll report any bugs I find and post a few suggestions :)

No problem robert.

Jon, I can put that up soon enough, maybe even do something today if I have time.
The version out now has had a few problems but to be honest, its working better than I thought ;)
Still first beta release but doing pretty good so far, havent found many problems testing it.

:D WTG - well done John - I did a MySQL to MS Access convert on the .sql file if anyone want's to play with it :)

Attachments

• hosting.zip
    9.1 KB · Views: 4
I get the following error in a popup titled: Management Desk

[Microsoft] [obdc divice manager] Data source not found and no specific driver specificed.

This pops up 2 times and goes to the script and then happens again when i hit connect.

1) Should this be installed on your server or on your home computer?

You need a System DSN for the MySQL db - it should run ok as localhost. If you install the db on your server you'll still need the DSN and ensure you can remote connect to MySQL.

Please post error messagse on the forum for the program, then otehrs can see the solution also ;)

Read this post: http://www.billvoice.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12

That has the answer to your problem :)

You can install the program anywhere you want, and you can install mysql anywhere you want, so you can use a database on your home/local computer, or connect to a remote database, on a LAN or on the net, ie. a hosting server in a Datacentre :)

John