NEWS :: Doctors Can Let Baby Die

Anjay

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1154516,00.html

'DOCTORS CAN LET BABY DIE'

Premature baby Charlotte Wyatt is to be allowed to die if her breathing stops.

A High Court judge has given Charlotte's doctors permission not to resuscitate her - despite a plea by her parents that everything should be done to give her the chance of life, however short.

Darren Wyatt, 33, and his 23-year-old wife Debbie - who is expecting their third child - of Buckland, Portsmouth, had urged the judge not to give up on their daughter.

Giving his judgment, Mr Justice Hedley said: "I have given this case my most anxious and closest attention. I am only too aware of my own limitations in making so momentous a decision.

The judge said of Charlotte that he did not believe "that any further aggressive treatment, even if necessary to prolong her life, is in her best interests".

"I know that may mean that she may die earlier than otherwise she might have done, but in my judgment the moment of her death will only be slightly advanced," he added.

"I have asked myself: what can now be done to benefit Charlotte? I can only offer three answers.

"As much comfort as possible, as much time as possible to spend in the presence and in contact with her parents and she should be allowed to meet her end, in the words of Mr Wyatt, with the TLC of those who love her the most," he said.

After the ruling the couple's solicitor Richard Stein said they did not intend to appeal.

He said: "As you will appreciate, Darren and Debbie and Wyatt are extremely upset following the judgment handed down.

"They have asked me to say that they feel it was most important that the issues in the case have been aired in public because as a result everyone has had an opportunity to consider the extremely difficult issues faced by them and numerous other parents in their position."

I've never supported the idea of deciding for some person whether he/she lives or dies (with exception to capital punishment of rapists and murderers). However, some situations can be just too difficult. This is one is one of them.

Very sad. I know someone who's daughter was born premature, just shy of 2lbs at birth. The doctor's never gave up. She has since graduated from university on the honors roll with her BSC and Masters degree. Sometimes, we all have to go that extra inch for the other to that next step forward.

This particular story has found me extremely upset, saddened and heartbroken.

On Jan. 1st 2003 my wife gave birth to our premature twins, Austin Michael, and Ashton Daniel.

When they were born, Austin was immediately placed in an oxygen incubator. Ashton was allowed to come to my wife's hospital room.

Three days later the nurse took Ashton to the nursery for a daily routine check, bath, etc. The next thing we here, is a "code" come across the hospital's PA. My wife and I had no clue, as they did not want to tell us right away, but when the nurse took Ashton, he had stopped breathing. My mother however, who works at the hospital, was there, and knew what the "code" meant, and told me immediately.

For about an hour, they had to breathe for him, with a machine, until the ambulance got there to transport both of them to a more equipped facility an hour away (Driving in the horrid snow, made it more like 1 1/2 to 2 hours. The trip down to this place was also a little more difficult with our 4 yr old traveling along with us.

I remember the feeling I had inside, that my son was about to die. I instantly broke into tears, and simply could not control my emotions.

This coming January BOTH of my twins will celebrate their 2nd birthday, and are both enjoying their big brother, and their new little brother.

If a judge would have made the same decision the above judge made....One of my children would not be here today, and neither would a piece of me, nor any piece of that judge for that matter.

I find it completely disgusting that one man can take the rights from another man and his family to make a decision for their own children, and instead make the decision for them. This judge made the absolute wrong decision, as no one can determin how long a child will live.

As we were told by a nationally renowned periatrician (the one that took care of Ashton, it is common for a premature baby to stop breathing, and it is a complication that can be overcome, but sometimes they're just not that fortunate. That judge took a complication that can be overcome, and turned it into a death sentence.

Mark, what an unbelievably powerful story! I am so sorry to hear about your experience and yet I am so happy everything is going well for you and your boys now. I wish them good health and lots of causes for celebrating life.

Best wishes to you and your wife.

Thank you for sharing.

A very touching story indeed! I'm so glad to hear everything is OK now Mark. :agree:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tombarko8