NEWS :: Britain May Offend France

Anjay

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13232300,00.html

'DON'T MENTION TRAFALGAR'

People in Devon have been told not to upset the French by celebrating the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar.

Totnes in the West Country will have no official events, flag-waving or street parties for the historical landmark next year.

The town, where victorious Lord Nelson was made a freeman of the borough, is twinned with Vire in Normandy.

And councillors in Totnes are worried any special events they hold would be an affront to their pals across the water, according to the Daily Express.

One councillor, Tony Mead, said: "It would be rather tasteless of us to celebrate a victory over a country we are allied with and twinned with."

Bruno Peek, chairman of the Trafalgar Weekend group, which is in charge of organising events to celebrate the British triumph, told The Express: "I don't understand their thinking. Most countries have historic events that they celebrate."

I think it is utterly stupid. The French would celebrate - They only think about themselves. I don't say we be as [dumb] as them, however I don't think we should care what they think if they don't care what we think [And not to mention how much the French hate the British, and not to mention how many times Chirac attacked Britain, its people and Tony - I say we celebrate as hard as we can!].

What are your views?

French nationalism is a bit over the top IMHO.

Here's a funny story, more or less related. My brother had to change planes in Paris. He was comming back from the US and English became sort of second nature to him as he stayed there 4 months. He asked a French lady to tell him where his gate was or something as he was in a hurry. He then realised that he actually knows a bit of French too and corrected himself, asking the same question in this language.

The lady gave him a look and told him that she felt offended by him speaking in English first, that he assumed everybody has to know English or something. That was my brother's 5 minutes experience in France. He wasn't overly impressed, I can tell you that. :)

Well, the French nationalism may be a bit over the top, but they sure are the best cooks. Just returned from a great (and expensive) French restaurant. Good thing I didn't pay the bill. Not to mention that I live in a French city of Montreal and of French province of Quebec, and there are plenty of cute French girls around. :)

Best,