New website SEO UP

weekhost

Hi HD members,

New website SEO strategy? How can you make sure it’s easy for Google and other search engines to discover and rank?

From what I hear, the latest thing in ranking well is to run your website with an SSL certificate.

Other that that, it is CONTENT that is still the king. If you develop unique, good quality, relevant and helpful material, this is what matters.

Hi Artashes,

SSL certificate hmm yes, this is almost a basic requirement. There are plenty of free alternatives! :)

Google is going to pick on eCommerce sites first for HTTPS, but their plan is for every site to go that direction. And there's no doubt, that'll be reflected in their algorithms and in site's rankings.

Google is going to pick on eCommerce sites first for HTTPS, but their plan is for every site to go that direction. And there's no doubt, that'll be reflected in their algorithms and in site's rankings.

It makes sense in some ways but in others it doesn't.

Either way the second it's confirmed by Google that it's a ranking factor I will very quickly enable SSL across my whole website.

SSL is a must in near future and you can get free ssl from letencrypt now a days. So that is not a big deal now a days.

Other things mainly need to focus is

Unique Contents
Good Knowledge Base Articles
Develop Contents based on the Keywords and if possible go for low competition long tail keywords than going with high competition keywords.

Better you can consult a SEO Expert and get some tips

Site with good Contents is king of market. You should write blogs and speadup your site using press releases .

That will raise up your rank in google.

Yes, i am also thinking now ssl is very important things for websites promotion for google search engine, and content based optimization is potential way.

Nowadays I feel SSL is important to gain trust.
And Google SEO is more and more intelligent, content very important.

Some basic SEO:

1) Setup a blog for your company and regularly post articles on it, articles that others will read and share
2) Setup FB Page and regularly post on it
3) Setup Twitter account and regular share your blog posts and other content on it so that you get more followers
4) Do a few online press releases
5) Make sure your site is fast, slow websites won't rank in google, and also make sure it has SSL enabled on it with a valid certificate
6) Make sure your site has no errors and uses SEO Friendly URL

If you do the above, you should see some good results within few months

For those following along, the SSL/HTTPS suggestions for websites is now in full effect, and confirmed by Google as a ranking factor. It is the goal over the next year to also have EVERY site using HTTPS, not just for security of ecommerce transactions, but rather to stop potential man-in-the-middle type attacks. Security is a big concern.

Twitter & Facebook - sure, post away on there, but they're not directly influencing SEO. They do influence traffic, but they don't directly affect ranking positions.

Press Releases - forget about them. They're no longer relevant for SEO rankings. Again, you can definitely get traffic through them, but they're useless with regards to increasing ranking of particular phrases etc.

For those following along, the SSL/HTTPS suggestions for websites is now in full effect, and confirmed by Google as a ranking factor. It is the goal over the next year to also have EVERY site using HTTPS, not just for security of ecommerce transactions, but rather to stop potential man-in-the-middle type attacks. Security is a big concern.

Twitter & Facebook - sure, post away on there, but they're not directly influencing SEO. They do influence traffic, but they don't directly affect ranking positions.

Press Releases - forget about them. They're no longer relevant for SEO rankings. Again, you can definitely get traffic through them, but they're useless with regards to increasing ranking of particular phrases etc.

PR is still effective, it establishes your brand name, which google does consider as ranking factor, just make sure that you get your PR on some very good quality new sites and blogs.

SEO is just not backlink anymore, if your site is being referred on social media google even does counts it for ranking your site

Press Releases are less effective than what they once were. They are effective in getting information out to other parties who then may write an article, request interview etc, but for the purpose of SEO, Press Releases, and 99% of all press release sites, are a waste of effort.

Do a simple search of "google seo press releases" and you'll get a number of articles (including our own if you go down far enough in the list) on the subject.

PR with respect to brand exposure and getting eyes on a subject that then might bring traffic - sure, but SEO is a no go.

Gary Illyes, John Mueller, and even Matt Cutts have all stated explicitly that "Social Signals" are not used by Google for ranking purposes. This was stated in 2014 by Matt, and as a recent as June 2016 by Garry Illyes.

Correlation is not the same as Causation. So while more tweeting is done by a website, and they get more traffic, along with higher ranking positions, this does not equate to their Social Media strategy influencing ranking and SEO.

All day, every day, this is what I do, but I'm always up for an education. Feel free to post articles or content from qualified sources regarding the positive influence.

20+ years in the web world, and nearly that long in SEO.

It changes daily, and what used to work no longer works for a lot of people. Any short cut that you can find has been (or is being) shored up by Google and Bing.

The big thing of it all really just comes down to "am I trying to exploit a system" or "is this questionable". Twitter and Facebook *COULD* have been a great influence, but shady SEOs took advantage of the situation. Links are the same - in theory, the more links you have, the more people must like you, the more you must be relevant. Then you get a few thousand SEO jackasses thinking if 10 links is good, then 100,000 links is better. They flood the system, and google no longer uses it as a ranking signal.

It's all quality over quantity these days.

Just like people searching for quality, supportive, reliable web hosting company - you want to show your company in the right light.

Sadly, for every quality web hosting company, there are a few dozen shady places that give the entire industry a bad name. Gone are the days of having to purchase a server for $500-600/month so you could run your own hosting service - heck, I see reseller accounts for $1/month. Not a chance in hell I'd ever use them, but they exist :)

The way I look at increased traffic is that (if highly targeted), it should decrease bounce rate and increase time-on-site. Given the same conversion ratio, this should equate to more sales, and more referrals.

I do agree that day-by-date, Google and Bing are closing whatever loopholes exist. You have to present value-add content to your visitors now, and should have all along.