"New posts": with or without ads?

Artashes

Administrator
Staff member
When it comes to New posts, I have two options:

1. Leave the link to New posts as is (with Marketplace ads), but also add a link to New posts w/o ads (excluding posts made in the Marketplace).

2. Keep the only New posts link as is, just modify it to exclude posts made in the Marketplace.

Either way, one of them has to happen.

What's your preference?

I would select option number one as some members and visitors want to see those ads. Those who don't would then still have an option otherwise.

On front page, give space to discussions, add two blocks on top or make them front page if you wish.
One block for latest discussion excluding ads.
Other block for latest ads only

I am sure there are ways to this with widget in xenforo.

At a minimum, the two options (with and without ads). Personally, I never really go to the ads section as I'm not looking for something at this time.

So when I review the "new posts" section, I systematically bypass any of the ads. I know on most forums I frequent they mix the ads and content, but being able to split that out sure would make navigation easier for users.

Then a second "new offers/ads" or "new marketplace posts" option

Thank you very much for all the feedback! My personal preference was also to give users a choice, so here is how I set it up for now:

New posts with ads will display discussion posts and posts made in the Marketplace

The links are next to each other.

I am not completely sure this flow is better than making it the following way:

What do you think?

Then a second "new offers/ads" or "new marketplace posts" option
This is also a very sensible approach. This, however, changes the user habit and asks him/her to perform 2 actions instead of 1: first click on New Posts and then click on New Ads, in order to view all new content.

This is also a very sensible approach. This, however, changes the user habit and asks him/her to perform 2 actions instead of 1: first click on New Posts and then click on New Ads, in order to view all new content.
Yeah, I was actually thinking side by side (just like you have in the nav bar now) :)