Moving to a different server.

rambo6376

I currently have a reseller package which I've used to make an account for myself for a forum website. If I switch hosts, how would I transfer my site to the new server? There isnt much content other than the message board (invisionBoard). On the new host, when I make an account, would I have to reinstall the board first, and then like restore the backup of the database from before?

Hi,
If your moving from a server that has Cpanel, or another with Cpanel, you can use your MySQL backup feature in the control panel.

Otherwise, it is pretty much the same.. install the board on the new site. It may have IP dependencies with invisionboard, so when you upload the database, you may find that you need to use the phpmyadmin to look for the config variables in the database and update to the new IP.

Ideally, from one cpanel host to another, you could have the new host pull a copy of your site over, and have all your data in tact.
We have moved a ton of sites that way, and once in a while, it won't move right, but your site size should be fine. It is not large, and we saw most of our problems with large sites that were real busy.

Good luck with your move,

Tim L

Hello,
Moving can be a hassel sometimes especially if you have alot of accounts :(. Well Good Luck and make Backups just incase.
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tombarko8