MaTriX Internet Solutions - 5 Hour Downtime because of PowerFailure

Francisco

Well,

First off, I'm an Honest People and I would like to people to know why and that I got 5 Hour Downtime these Days, I know this maybe will affect my Chances to get costumers but I think that saying the truth is always the Best to do, and some People really Appreciatte that.

Well... 01-04-2004 We got a Serious Downtime of almost FIVE HOURS (5) because of a Power Inestability and UPS Problems, we're on the Old Site of the Facility (DataCenter) and the Rack where our Server was received a "Power Issue" and we got 2.5 Hours without Energy (electricity), this Happened when I was on Another Town and I wasn't able to connect to the Internet, then I got a Call from a Custumer and I went to a Game Center with Internet to check if the Server was Down. Certainly it was. And I called the DataCenter for a "Inmediatte Reboot", they took 45 Minutes to bring my Server up because the cables were Damaged. The Fixed it and it began to run Normally after that.

The Official Downtime and Uptime for this Month is:

January 4 hrs, 59 mins, 19 secs 97.693%

When December was:

December 0 0 hrs, 0 mins, 0 secs 100.000%

I'm really Sorry for this Problem Caused, we will make our Best Efford to avoid this on the Future our Uptime with December and January makes a total of 99.383%

Since, I promise 99.8% Uptime Guarantee all our Current Clients will get some Free time. Again, Sorry for the Inconvenience.

Thanks for Choosing MaTriX Internet Solutions

Best Regards,
The MaTriX Internet Solutions Team

Mod Note: Please if this isn't on the correct place please be so kind to move it. Thanks.

At least you were honest, I think that is the most important thing to have with your clients, honesty.

Some of the hosts around today would try and turn it around towards the clients fault to take the blame off their chest.

I am not sure where this post would be moved, if at all. It would fit into the forum I was talking, announcements :)

Thats still pretty good uptime for that long considering it was a one off problem (hopefully)

Do you not have an uptime guarantee with your DC also so that you are covered as well as you covering your clients for downtime with your own guarantee?

Most datacenters that offer %99.9 uptime I bet do not actually provide it on average, but this one for sure is in there :)

If they offer it, then read their terms and make sure you get back what you are owed if it has effected your clients.

Always good to make sure you read the terms on that kind of guarantee though ;)

Well,

The Datacenter is Burst.net, I really don't care so much the Money, and I think they won't give me anything... So, I'll give Free Time to my clients and if it happends again I'll move to another DC. ;)

*Edited: Bad Spelling, Sorry I was on Rush :p

Hi Francisco,

Congratulations for handling this so well. It has happened to everyone at one time or the other.

Mental note to self - pay for rack check, including cableing and power supply.

I never would have thought of this....thanks for sharing your experience and hopefully its smooth sailing for you now

Andrew said:
Hi Francisco,

Congratulations for handling this so well. It has happened to everyone at one time or the other.

Mental note to self - pay for rack check, including cableing and power supply.

I never would have thought of this....thanks for sharing your experience and hopefully its smooth sailing for you now

Thanks for you too ;)

I also recommend to have your HelpDesk on Another Server that's not the Main one, or atleast have an Email on Another Server, because if your Server goes down your Bind won't be there for MX Records Requests ;)

Francisco

Yep - we hit a 6 hour slowdown due to a faulty fibre with Burst over the new year. But everyone notified, talked to online and no bad feelings, plus all clients stayed and didn't complain.

The power of telling the truth is prime to your clients.

Sort of treat them like adults - they can take it. :)