• I am excited to announce a significant upgrade to our hosting infrastructure. Read more.

Managed vs. Unmanaged Hosting: Which Suits You Best?

ScrumMeeting

The choice between managed and unmanaged hosting depends largely on your expertise and the time you can dedicate to server management. Managed hosting provides peace of mind with the host taking care of security updates, backups, and technical support. It's ideal for those without technical expertise or those who prefer to focus on their business rather than server management. Unmanaged hosting, while cheaper, requires you to handle everything from the installation of the OS to security and maintenance. This option suits tech-savvy users looking for flexibility and control over their environment. Discussing the pros and cons of each can help new webmasters make an informed choice.

With an unmanaged hosting plan, the web host provisions the server and installs the operating system. Then, you take over the controls.
The web hosting company handles the physical maintenance and ensures the server remains online and available. You take care of everything else.
This includes:

Operating system updates.(but i think most DC provides unlimited os reinstallation now)
  • Installation and configuration of web services.
  • Security patches.
  • Monitoring.
  • Responding to security incidents.
Unmanaged hosting is a bit like making a meal from scratch. You assemble your ingredients and adjust the recipe to your preferences. And while you eat, you can add more seasoning if needed.

With managed server hosting, things are a bit different. The hosting company provides additional managed services, like security monitoring, software installations, backups, and improved customer support. In other words, the web hosting provider will take care of all the technical parts of the server in a managed server hosting plan. That way, you can focus on running your web applications and your business’s needs.

If you encounter problems while using the server, technical support is available to help fix them. That way, your website keeps running smoothly.

If you are talking about VPS or dedicate server then you definetly need at least some technical knowledge before you invest your hard earned money into it.
In that case a managed server is a good option where the hosting company will manage everything (according to the plan you buy)

However personally if I have technical knowledge or I want to learn something new (not production use) then I will definitely go with unmanaged option. It doesn't matter howmany times I break the setup I will learn more eventually

Choosing between Managed and Unmanaged Hosting depends on your technical expertise:

• Managed Hosting: Managed hosting is best if you prefer a hands-off approach and want professionals to handle server maintenance, updates, and security. It's ideal for businesses that lack in-house technical expertise or want to focus on their core activities.
  • Unmanaged Hosting: Unmanaged hosting is better for those who have technical skills and want full control over their server configurations and management. Greater control and flexibility for experienced users.

I generally prefer Unmanaged hosting, especially if you are a large business. It's less expensive.
Managed hosting is just for people that want a website and don't have enough storage to fit in a server, so they use other servers hosted by large businesses/companies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WebHostingCanada
Back