Linux versus Windows Dedicated Servers

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
Since Linux is the more popular of the two for many web hosting providers, I'm wondering if that has to do with Licensing requirements, on hand staff familiar with managing Windows or whatever. I've read a number of comments alluding that Linux is more secure, but both can be locked down tight.

Key factors Linux winning over Windows Dedicated Servers

1) Security - Linux provides more secured platform, compared to Windows. Even though both Operating Systems have loop holes. But, when both are compared linux would win with some margin in more security.

2) Costing - This is most familiar factor which everyone knows, licensing costs differs alot with Windows and Linux. Linux available as an Open Source, where as Windows costs monthly.

3) Service Providers - As Linux platform is more popular in Hosting Industry, you will find many service providers available with Linux Hosting. They wont fall short for Linux Administrators, getting the server and OS issue resolved. When comparison to Windows its different case, you will find Windows having constant updates and bugs appearing, even difficult to find a good provider with management available.

4) Stability - As stated in early point, Linux is more stable platform. There are rarest of the cases where Linux OS getting crashed. Gives highest percentage of uptime when compared to Windows, even with large number processes running. Windows stability decreases drastically, when large number processes are running.

5) Hardware - With regular upgrades and Updates of Windows OS, hardware resources consumption increases, there is constant requirement of increasing the hardware configuration. When this is compared to linux is flexible and scalable, can run on any server and configurations.

Last edited:
I would also add that there is a huge community of contributors around Linux and in different OS niches. When it comes to Microsoft, they also try to engage, but it is a proprietary licensed Os. Why should anyone help them, unless there is a very clear market goal defined. However, the Windows server market share isn't small and the last time I went see the numbers (I'd admit it was at least an year ago) it was growing.

I would choose Linux over windows primarily because windows charhes fees for their license hense a windows server will cost a bit higher but more than just the cost, Linux is a more stable platform for servers compared to Windows. True you need some hardening for both but you are quicker getting a rock solid server with Linux than windows.

Its no accident that Windows servers have about 75% server market share, Linux 20%. There is no comparison when it comes to the desktop. Those that don't know why don't manage Windows servers appropriately. Open Source? Sometimes cheap is expensive. Linux revenue was about 1.8 billion end of fiscal year 2/2015 -- not bad

Last edited:
In fact, every user chooses the option he is more convenient with. If you are more convienient with Linux - go for it, if you got used to administering of Windows - you have to choose it. In fact, each system, if managed properly, can be tuned to provide maximum security possible. However, as you know, Windows license costs additionally, so actually servers with Windows include also Windows license fees. Alternatively, if you have your own valid license key, you can enter it after the system is installed. Technical-wise, it is only the matter of preference.

There are not too many tasks that you can do on Linux machine and can't on Windows and vice versa. However, of course they exist and if it is the case it is natural that one should choose what suits his needs.

Its no accident that Windows servers have about 75% server market share, Linux 20%. There is no comparison when it comes to the desktop. Those that don't know why don't manage Windows servers appropriately. Open Source? Sometimes cheap is expensive. Linux revenue was about 1.8 billion end of fiscal year 2/2015 -- not bad

Made an error....Those revenue figures are for Red Hat only

There are not too many tasks that you can do on Linux machine and can't on Windows and vice versa. However, of course they exist and if it is the case it is natural that one should choose what suits his needs.

They may not be too many but the HOW you intend to do whatever you want to do becomes key in your choice of OS. Of course the other very critical component is your skills. You may be able to achieve it with one OS with more ease compared to the other because of your skills.

Linux is one of the most prevalent operating systems for web hosting, because it is inexpensive and fairly easy to install. Windows is the other choice because they have world class support. However there are a lot of similarities and a lot of differences in how the two operate. There is also a difference in security between the two, and many times Windows becomes the target of spyware because of these vulnerabilities.

That's like asking if Whiskey is better than Wine.
Each will have their own preference and opinion.

Myself - I'm a Whiskey and Unix/Linux fella. Whiskey will put hair on your chest. And Linux will keep you up less at nights.

Just my two cents

That's like asking if Whiskey is better than Wine.
Each will have their own preference and opinion.

Myself - I'm a Whiskey and Unix/Linux fella. Whiskey will put hair on your chest. And Linux will keep you up less at nights.
I'm a Whiskey guy too, but I don't need any more hair on my chest. :shaky: Given the choice, I do prefer Linux.

Key factors Linux winning over Windows Dedicated Servers

1) Security - Linux provides more secured platform, compared to Windows. Even though both Operating Systems have loop holes. But, when both are compared linux would win with some margin in more security.

2) Costing - This is most familiar factor which everyone knows, licensing costs differs alot with Windows and Linux. Linux available as an Open Source, where as Windows costs monthly.

3) Service Providers - As Linux platform is more popular in Hosting Industry, you will find many service providers available with Linux Hosting. They wont fall short for Linux Administrators, getting the server and OS issue resolved. When comparison to Windows its different case, you will find Windows having constant updates and bugs appearing, even difficult to find a good provider with management available.

4) Stability - As stated in early point, Linux is more stable platform. There are rarest of the cases where Linux OS getting crashed. Gives highest percentage of uptime when compared to Windows, even with large number processes running. Windows stability decreases drastically, when large number processes are running.

5) Hardware - With regular upgrades and Updates of Windows OS, hardware resources consumption increases, there is constant requirement of increasing the hardware configuration. When this is compared to linux is flexible and scalable, can run on any server and configurations.

Total agree with that :smash:

I guess its depends upon the customers preferences on which server he is more comfortable with. Mostly customer go for Windows server as it has good interface and easy to operate than Linux.

Technical expert mostly prefer Linux server.

I guess its depends upon the customers preferences on which server he is more comfortable with. Mostly customer go for Windows server as it has good interface and easy to operate than Linux.

Technical expert mostly prefer Linux server.

Please add that many lay clients dont even know that there is such a thing as a windows server. they think windows is for just desktops and it never crosses into server world.