LF "Fire and Forget" Shared Hosting Up To $5/m Budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harv45

Hi as the title stated I am looking a true "fire and forget" shared hosting solution for no more than $5 a month.

Here what I means by "fire and forget"

1. MUST know what they are doing! A provider who I just exited could not even produce why a 500 error occurred after a software I used in the past just by clicking "install" on Softalious and blamed it on a the software when it was ALL OVER my entire account (got it on my other unrelated software that I had on there for DAYS).
2. Hard resources limited so I do not need to worry about "resource abuses" under the rug. From the CPU down to the I/O and to understand what EXACTLY I am paying for. No fair usage what so ever. In other words I am only to be the person suffering if I do not take proper actions.
3.Helpful support and truly puts in efforts. Resolution times are not an issue as long they are reasonable for the issue at hand and are through. In other words I would rather wait 3 hours for a resolution than 12x15 minutes replies of un helpfulness.
4. Must be willing to take in a customer who have backlashing of a "support abuse" on Fraud Record with a 7 rating and 1.0 reliability of which was from a unrelated "company". Provided that everything else looks good.
5. I would like to take a minimal hosting plan as you can dish out while providing quality. As mentioned I am able up to $5/month for this.

I will leave it at that for now.

Thanks you in advance.

Hi as the title stated I am looking a true "fire and forget" shared hosting solution for no more than $5 a month.

Here what I means by "fire and forget"

2. Hard resources limited so I do not need to worry about "resource abuses" under the rug. From the CPU down to the I/O and to understand what EXACTLY I am paying for. No fair usage what so ever. In other words I am only to be the person suffering if I do not take proper actions.

I don't know of any hosting company that can give you a real hard limit on cpu and i/o.

You can try my limited time offer of $1/yr hosting

1 Site/Domain
1 GB Disk Space
1 GB Data Transfer
1 MySQL Database
1 Email Account
1 FTP Account
1 Dollar Per Year

See my ad here: http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/sh...y-free-hosting-1-00-yr-limited-time-only.html

If you desire I can create a custom plan just for you. Just name those limits you speak of.

I don't know of any hosting company that can give you a real hard limit on cpu and i/o.

As long as like Cloudlinux is used and the resources are there then it should be possible. However most do not treat these as hard limits and just says "you may burst UP to these but you cannot use what Cpanel actually shows your max are".

As long as like Cloudlinux is used and the resources are there then it should be possible. However most do not treat these as hard limits and just says "you may burst UP to these but you cannot use what Cpanel actually shows your max are".

You are misconstruing the purpose of Cloudlinux. We don't use it as a feature of a specific shared hosting account. Its used to protect all the other accounts from that account.

For example, if your site begins to use a lot of CPU or memory, rather than slowing the entire server and possibly causing a failure for everyone else on the server, it will slow only your site --- maybe even throw a 500 or 508 error. The result: If there are 500 sites on the server 499 of them will remain satisfied, and only one will not....instead of all 500 being unsatisfied

In other words, Cloudlinux is used to maintain the balance and stability of a shared hosting envirnment, not to provide cpu, ram, i/o as a hosting plan feature like disk space, email accounts, etc

Collabora is correct.

Our standard accounts with 100% CPU Maximums, and premium accounts with up to 400% Maximums, but we don't expect the customers to hammer the server continually at these maximums.
If they did then the accounts would cost easily 10 times as much.

The limits are there to stop the "abuser" from hogging all the CPU, Memory, I/O or IOPs.
Like Collabora said if 1 of 500 sites was too busy the other 499 would be up and working perfectly.

We have to make the assumption that the 1 site using too much resource ("the abuser") is having a deluge of visitors, or having an issue with some recent code update.
If it is found that the customer is deliberately hammering the server, then that customer will be short lived on our service.

The OP would be better placed looking for a VPS, which he can hammer to his hearts content.
Also it would be interesting to hear what spec's they expect for their $5 a month.

The OP would be better placed looking for a VPS, which he can hammer to his hearts content.

Even a VPS is not necessary promised resources (mileages will vary). This is because of "vCores" and so few VPS providers even tell you what a vCore is in term of actual CPU power..

Why brother with such things if they pose the same "headaches" if not more than a shared provider?

Again I am not looking for "burst able limits" I am looking for what I can use 100% of the time if needed. Even if it significantly less than what most providers allocate for their "burst able limits". For instance if there were two hosts and one were advertising 1GB of RAM that is really "burst able limits" or another that were to only give 256MB of RAM but it truly there for just you. I would much rather take the 256MB and spare the up selling BS that could come from most providers who only do by "burst able limits" and "semi reserved limits".

Even a VPS is not necessary promised resources (mileages will vary). This is because of "vCores" and so few VPS providers even tell you what a vCore is in term of actual CPU power..

Why brother with such things if they pose the same "headaches" if not more than a shared provider?

Again I am not looking for "burst able limits" I am looking for what I can use 100% of the time if needed. Even if it significantly less than what most providers allocate for their "burst able limits". For instance if there were two hosts and one were advertising 1GB of RAM that is really "burst able limits" or another that were to only give 256MB of RAM but it truly there for just you. I would much rather take the 256MB and spare the up selling BS that could come from most providers who only do by "burst able limits" and "semi reserved limits".

Keep in mind many hosts will not offer any script support.

You probably don't need a VPS, if you want a VPS - you will need it fully managed, either by the host or from a 3rd party. As such cPanel (or a different control panel) will be needed (for most cases) as many management providers won't manage a server without a control panel.

Last edited:
Keep in mind many hosts will not offer any script support.

You probably don't need a VPS, if you want a VPS - you will need it fully managed, either by the host or from a 3rd party. As such cPanel (or a different control panel) will be needed (for most cases) as many management providers won't manage a server without a control panel.

Then why I am bothering paying for their profit margins? From what you saying I may as well as just get a bare metal box, collocate, get the various licensing who WILL support what they sell, and do everything in house instead and get better results in the end.

I am sorry if I am not clear but a VPS is NOT what I am looking for. I am looking for dedication though (literally and figurative). At this point I do not care if it does come down to what I said should this does not produce reasonable offers.

I think you would be better off stating what you need.

For instance...

I need 512MB of RAM (total) for my PHP usage.
I need x amount of I/O
I need y amount of CPU (which I will use 100% of the time).
etc, etc

Most hosts don't offer this as standard as it's not required by standard.

If you let us all know exactly what your needs are, then we can all start to give you quotes.

I personally would be quite happy to give you a PM'd quote off the back of exact requirements.

Although do bare in mind that most users use very little CPU time, a very busy site may use 5-10% cpu (average on a shared host), so if you are after 100%, you may have to pay 10-20 times as much, as the host would otherwise be able to sell the resources to 10 or 20 customers different customers.

I think you would be better off stating what you need.

For instance...

I need 512MB of RAM (total) for my PHP usage.
I need x amount of I/O
I need y amount of CPU (which I will use 100% of the time).
etc, etc

Most hosts don't offer this as standard as it's not required by standard.

If you let us all know exactly what your needs are, then we can all start to give you quotes.

Okay then let's see where this goes
I need 256MB of RAM Total
I need 2MB/s amount of I/O
I need 25% amount of CPU
ALL resources are to be available to me and only me and I am only to be sharing the hardware components ONLY.

I also expects to have "pay as I go" resources as well (meaning if I just say need another x% CPU for instance I should be able to pay y additional monthly for it.

also expects to have "pay as I go" resources as well (meaning if I just say need another x% CPU for instance I should be able to pay y additional monthly for it.

Might be hard to find a host that offers extra CPU as an addon.
Otherwise the requirements aren't that hard.

Might be hard to find a host that offers extra CPU as an addon.
Otherwise the requirements aren't that hard.

I am assuming individual resources vs. getting "bundled"? If that the case then I won't be paying for more RAM and CPU for example if I were only need a bit more CPU down the road for example unless I were to be hitting the upper RAM usage and that the extra RAM barely costs much more buying as a "bundled" resource upgrade.

Also thanks you for input on agreeing with me that these hard limits are reasonable for the price I am willing to pay out for them.

I am looking for dedication though (literally and figurative).

but the title states '"Fire and Forget" Shared Hosting Up To $5/m Budget'

the clue is in the 'Shared Hosting' in that everything is shared, so nothing is dedicated to a single client.
if you want dedicated resources then you will need a dedicated server.

the clue is in the 'Shared Hosting' in that everything is shared, so nothing is dedicated to a single client.

And I am wanting to still share the hardware, back end setup (OS, Control Panel, and auto installer for instance). Then have the dedicated resources virtually allocated.

I hope this help you understand that this is still a relevant subject line. It NOT like I asking for my own CPU, RAM modules, SSD(s) and/or HDD(s), NIC, and Ethernet cabling.

Last edited:
And I am wanting to still share the hardware, back end setup (OS, Control Panel, and auto installer for instance). Then have the dedicated resources virtually allocated.

I hope this help you understand that this is still a relevant subject line. It NOT like I asking for my own CPU, RAM modules, SSD(s) and/or HDD(s), NIC, and Ethernet cabling.

but as it is a shared environment then you wont be able to get and dedicated resources as all the resources are shared amongst all those on the server. that is the whole point of shared hosting, it is the cheaper option as you are sharing everything

but as it is a shared environment then you wont be able to get and dedicated resources as all the resources are shared amongst all those on the server. that is the whole point of shared hosting, it is the cheaper option as you are sharing everything

In other words your saying that shared hosting does not promise ANY resources beyond the disk space and bandwidth?

In other words your saying that shared hosting does not promise ANY resources beyond the disk space and bandwidth?

No shared hosting is ALL resources are SHARED between all in the environment. i.e. if you are the only 1 in the environment then you utilise all resources, but if 2 users are in the environment they resources are slit between the 2 etc, so more in the environment then the resources are shared with all.

No shared hosting is ALL resources are SHARED between all in the environment.

But that still does not address "How much do I get OUT of a shared server?"

It like going to the store and they having "shared food" where they charge $x to get and they aren't telling you what your getting and just saying "well it depends on how many people ordered by the end of the day and then we will send you the equal share of it".

No where does that because we all want to know how much food our money will buy. So how much RAM/CPU/IO will my money buy??

But that still does not address "How much do I get OUT of a shared server?"

It like going to the store and they having "shared food" where they charge $x to get and they aren't telling you what your getting and just saying "well it depends on how many people ordered by the end of the day and then we will send you the equal share of it".

No where does that because we all want to know how much food our money will buy. So how much RAM/CPU/IO will my money buy??

but that makes not difference you are asking for dedicated resources on a shared environment.
it is called a shared environment for a reason

Status
Not open for further replies.