Is Reseller Hosting any Good

IMO Reseller accounts are easier when you are starting out. You can focus on learning the CP and getting clients. The next logical step would be a VPS so you can start to learn how to take care of web server and keep it running. It is always best to get a managed VPS the 1st time.

Certainly, it is always better to choose a Managed VPS hosting package rather than an Unmanaged one. Also, it is better if you get 24x7 Technical support for the VPS which would be good in case you face any problem with the Server.

Reselling is a great option for getting into the business. Knowing what I now know, I probably would have / should have started that way.

We started with a unmanaged dedicated server, mostly for the fact that I had the loot at the time. Then we figured out, buying our own gear was actually cheaper if you can find the right data center.

Reselling accounts offer you a easy way to step into the business (or to manage a bunch of clients if your a dev) with little cost and risk. 20 - 50 dollars a month is a lot cheaper and easier to manage (server wise) than jumping into a vps / dedicated server.

Costs for having your own vps or server adds up quickly
- cpanel license
- server costs
- bandwidth costs
- cc processing / gateway
- billing / support software

Nearly all of this you can get fairly cheaply or free with a reseller. If your just getting into it, I'd go reseller.

Yep, reseller hosting is the best option for those who are new to the hosting game...Once you get experience and maybe a few clients move up to a VPS, and later on move up to a Dedicated server.

But, for now reseller is what you want.

reseller hosting is a much better option than VPS. No support problem. I am myself reseller at 3 hosting companies and still I dont have any headaches!!! You can sleep peacefully.

I agree, reselling is good to start off a business with. Then when you get more experience under your belt, get on a server of your own.

Buying your own hardware only really starts becoming cost effective once you get economies of scale... If a hdd or RAM chip goes fut, do you have any spares, who will goto the data center at 3am and do the swap? If not you then whom? DC's can charge a fair amount to do things like this and unless you can afford to shell out for a managed service where this is covered then you should not be looking at buying your own hardware...

If your just starting out or liek someone else said - running it as a side venture then yes get a reseller account and then go up in stages... EG: 1 reseller -> 2 reseller -> VPS -> 2 VPS -> Dedicated -> 6 - 7 Dedicated -> Colo...

If you're just starting out, try reseller. Then wait until you've got enough customers and turnover before increasing

Web hosting companies are these days offering huge amounts to affiliates, it its all about management and other issues, I assume affiliate hosting should surpass reseller hosting.

Yes, reseller plans are also somewhat cheaper and generally include more "free stuff" such as sitebuilders, installers and skins. On VPS, you generally have to pay for each of them separately.

Yes, reseller plans are also somewhat cheaper and generally include more "free stuff" such as sitebuilders, installers and skins. On VPS, you generally have to pay for each of them separately.

This is the main reasons why reseller plans tend to be more cost-effective for startups :smash:

Another aspect of the reseller plans is, its suitability for the base hosting company. Its often not possible for hosting companies to support reseller @ 10 to 30 dollars, if resellers come up with 200-300 heavily loaded sites, unless the hosting companies is overselling as well as overloading servers.
So reselling in its best form is neither good for reseller nor for host.

Reseller plans give you peace of mind because your web host is responsible for maintaining the server, all hardware, software, updates and replacements included. On a VPS, this would be your responsibility and hence a liability.

I would recommend starting out with a reseller plan and if you happen to outgrow your resources and the cost for purchasing additional resources permits, move to a VPS then.

Resseler Hosting IS any good. Those smaller or bigger companies offers usual better services for just a little bit bigger payment. They dont have to focus on whole server stability and many more tasks. They can purely focus on their customers in better way by for example offering better support and business solutions.

Reseller hosting is good for the smaller companies. It includes selling any web hosting but usually refers to smaller hosting companies that buy their own server or a small reseller hosting and then install it to hosting company to sell hosting to other people.

If you have a large website, a lot of traffic or you need several sites for your business, a reseller package will allow you to pay one monthly fee instead of several, and it can provide a larger amount of features and space for your company.

Reseller accounts will typically include a greater amount of features than basic hosting plans.

Instead of purchasing your own server for your company, a reselling plan is very similar to having your own dedicated server with one important difference.

I would generally recommend starting up with a shared reseller account and then move up to a VPS account. Then from there a dedicated/managed server.

A shared reseller account in most cases will be a lot cheaper than having a VPS.

Someone people do not have the knowledge to manage a vps and therefore it would be wiser to begin with a reseller account.