Is it a good start?

sherwood

I can't imagine how complicated it is to start your own web hosting business, and how much money you need to invest on it. So, do you think it is a good start to sell hosting packages as a web hosting reseller?

It sounds like you should do a lot more research before deciding.

Build a solid business plan first and then go from there.

Good luck!

If you are starting web hosting business, I would recommend to get a hosting provider who provides a good support to you and your clients too. I don't think there is any problem to sell reseller package at start. Also I agree with Plexihost.
Good Luck !! :D

A lot of successfull providers have started as resellers. Best to have a business plan upfront ... dot all the i's and cross all the t's . Good luck. :D

NO need huge investment..you can start with a reseller hosting many of resellers provide all tools like billing software, Templates for your website and domain reseller accounts etc..

Yeah, having a solid business plan is really a must in this industry. You can make it or break it. You can use reseller hosting to get your leg up, so long as you have a business plan and your eyes set on a good direction you'll do okay.

Starting as a reseller is a "cheap" solution to start with, but choose wisely which provider you take, as the quality of their service is reflected on you. Then start looking for customers.

It sounds like you should do a lot more research before deciding.

Build a solid business plan first and then go from there.

Good luck!

Yes, months of research and a solid business plan are absolutely necessary before launching a business (not just a web host, but any business).

yes a good business plan is essential. as well as emergency planning.

a senario. you are a one man host with several clients, suddenly you are taken ill and find yourself hospitalised.

What would happen to your business/clients?

A good business plan is always the best way to go when starting any kind of business. Without one, businesses tend to fail, however, I don't think HostGator having 3 servers in a basement had a business plan. It really just depends on the business and technical skill of the founder.

My suggestion for starting a hosting company would be to go with reseller hosting if you don't have much experience or don't have all the time in the world to devote to your customers. Reseller hosting is just the easiest option to start out, given that you are provided all the relevant tools to start-up.

Tons of research needed prior to start such a business because errors are not tolerated.

You also need to be very customer oriented..nothing should matter except their satisfaction !

Servers in Basement? lol

Starting as a reseller is good especially if you don't have to provide the support. It gives you time to work on getting customers and working the customer service front. Also gives you time to learn up on the industry.

Business plans are not set in stone, you learn as you go and reading up on business laws and tax benefits and other situations will also help. You need to be able to adjust as you go in order to make things work.

Yes, I think reselling hosting service is a good start, and it really is a profitable business as long as you know what you are doing. After being successful as a hosting reseller, I don't think you would want to start your own hosting company. :)

After being successful as a hosting reseller, I don't think you would want to start your own hosting company. :)

i dont understand this as if your business is a success while reselling someone elses services then then next expansion if your business is to get your own server. as as you are reselling someone elses services then you are already running your own hosting business.

It's good to start your own webhosting business as reseller because you do not have to invest anything for server, staff, etc. and with the low cost you can start your own business.