Is Intel now playing catch up to AMD?

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
For years, Intel ruled the roost in CPU development and rightfully so. I'm curious, given AMD's recent CPU releases, whether you believe Intel is now playing catch up to AMD instead of the other way around. What's your take on the CPU market for hosting servers?

I just observe EPYCs appear here and there, more and more large providers start using them. Sometimes they look bit underpowered (Scaleway's servers, tested 2019.11), sometimes slightly better than Intel (Hetzner cloud, tested 2020.04). I think server hardware market is less dynamic, than user grade hardware, so we, possibly, won't see any tangible shift. It is not professional opinion and I'm sure experts could give better insights.

We just fully finished putting our first round of EPYCs into production and we are very happy with the performance of them, especially when you consider the price.

Make sure any hardware tests you are looking at our recent enough Intels security vulnerabilities into account. Depending on the model CPU those patches can diminish the processing power by 5 - 20%.

We are going to use Supermicro EPYCs in our cloud hosting production. We believe that it is a better price-to-performance solution than Server with Intel CPUs.

AMD's core counts for the price are very attactive to VPS and Elastic Providers.

The latest line of 2nd Gen ROME Epyc processors are the best hands down.

But Intel still has a great market share because of their huge marketing budget, their presence almost everywhere, and (we found) some clients not preferring to change the CPU provider based on slightly increased performance alone.

In terms of performance, AMD rules. But their sales still have a vast chasm to cross.

Intel is the market leader in processor .
But amd is trying to catch the market.

But according the usage, budget and requirement it may change.

I swore off AMD for damn near two decades. Too slow, too hot, and it just couldn't match Intel at all.

A couple of weeks back, I took a new look at that with my new build. Ryzen 9, 3900x, 12 core, 24 thread. This thing not only outperforms my last build (duh, it was only an i7-7700), but stays much cooler (30-50c depending on the load).

I have to say, despite the cpu fan mounting difficulties (Intel still wins there with screw on design), AMD has won me back. Of course, my latest isn't your every day processor, but then again my (personal) needs aren't your every day needs

We just fully finished putting our first round of EPYCs into production and we are very happy with the performance of them, especially when you consider the price.

Make sure any hardware tests you are looking at our recent enough Intels security vulnerabilities into account. Depending on the model CPU those patches can diminish the processing power by 5 - 20%.

Just curious, while I'm aware that there are many benchmarks online, how much energy consumption do you see in real production vis-a-vis with Intel?

As for a general idea, then how me a company Intel seems to loses a grip. In spite of the fact that AMD always was in a role of company "going" after she little by little begins to take in the market of processors, producing more accessible and powerful decisions. Collecting the system not on one year and looking on a present situation at the market of processors is I it is certain collected such system on the base of processors from AMD.

By the way, on information from a few sources, Intel and AMD clashed yet and on the field of fight for closing of deal with a company TSMC, by owning technology of production of microcircuits on 7-нм to the technological process. Here on the side of Intel the government of the USA plays yet and, in fact due to the approvals imposed on a company Huawei, TSMC was to give up work with her and to lose a to 20% profit yield from 15.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought Intel was better than AMD, whether they are playing 'catch up' is, I guess, a marketing technique or could even possibly be non-existent :) I still think Intel will outbeat AMD regardless.

I've always favoured Intel but to be honest, AMD is much more affordable and performance is much better than it use to be. I'd probably go AMD in the future.

Intel and AMD both are different,
AMD is cheaper than Intel Processors. If you are taking a minimum budget laptop or PC, then preferring AMD processors is a good idea as compared to Intel processors.
Intel has symmetric microprocessor capabilities upto 4 sockets/16 cores.
&
AMD has symmetric microprocessor capabilities upto 8 socket/32 cores.

I think it comes with the budget you want to go with. AMD is making fast computer affordable but intel is for people with more money and want a better computer

Xeons will always rule the server market in my opinion. The old Xeons still hold their value to this day, and I wouldn't use any other processor for a server. I wasn't even aware AMD had a server based processor that could compete with Xeon.