Intel or AMD

Prefer for what purpose? Really I don't care. I'll buy any chip for hosting because by the time one factors "the internet" into the equation the performance of the chip down to the smallest measurable time increment isn't really THAT important.

I can imagine some situations where the brand of chip matters but when it comes down to virtualization, I don't think most customers really care what the underlying technology is as long as they get speedy compute and enough RAM to do their thing

I've always personally preferred AMD CPU's over Intel on my personal computers. However, for workstations/servers I do prefer Intel and their Xeon series, over AMD's opteron series. Intel's Xeon series are constantly outperforming Opteron series during independent tests and benchmarks (but they do use more power), although this is changing now with AMD's new Opteron 6174 series and its 12 physical cores!:smash:

Conclusion: Intel is not better than AMD or Vice Versa.. CPU's are constantly changing and improving so it is always best to stay informed and do your research before building a new workstation/server or PC. :thumbup:

I have always used AMD in all my computers so I really can't say Intel. I will say I am thinking about going with intel on next to try it out.

I'd personally prefer a good Intel over AMD. I find that most good AMD's end up being more pricey and slow down over time.

I think for when you're looking for overall performance and reliability, Intel will have the advantage. For price AMD would come out on top and also possibly for certain graphics rendering tasks, but this might be circumvented but the Intel's all round performance.