Instant Messengers For Support

Shane said:
It's just good to look back on conversations and see what and what not has been said to help better assist that certain customer with any problems he/she may have in the future.

- Shane.

Trillian does this it logs everything.

ontime said:
Trillian does this it logs everything.

But I mean, not for that one tech to look at, but for all the techs that assist that customer in the future.

It'd be good if it was all automatic and the techs could easly do a search on that customer's records to provider better support.

I suppose it can be made easy and programme a system where the techs can upload chat transcripts for other techs to look upon.

Shane said:
That's interesting.

But if there are multipul support tech's personally I'd rather have logs of every single conversation with the customers. So sticking with ticket's is the best thing that can provide that.

Unless... someone develops a program that would auto upload chat transcripts to a server when the conversation is over. That'd be neat.

It's just good to look back on conversations and see what and what not has been said to help better assist that certain customer with any problems he/she may have in the future.

- Shane.
There might be programs out there that actually do that. Infact I believe some hosting companies are actually required to utilize the logs.

We don't offer freephone support at the moment, but we may offer lowcall phone support at some stage in the future. Even without it our phones are kept busy for most of the day anyway :)

I don't give any type of IM support for my clients. I do this because if I offer IM support, everyone will be asking me for help when they need it, and then what's the point of paying support staff to help you, and paying for my live help system, and paying for my helpdesk...I just figure it's better for balancing the support load to make them do a ticket/e-mail or go on live help.

We've used IM with many dedicated server clients, as they usually tend to have quite a lot of questions. It hasn't turned into much of a problem yet, but I could definately see it going that way. I think a live chat setup on the website would probably be a more logical and professional alternative to this, I'm thinking of setting something like that up in the near future.

IM Is important when helping a customer setup things for their website or tell them step by step instructions to do something. Having all the popular IM programs is a must for any serious website hoster. I have MSN, AIM, Yahoo! and ICQ, I also offer live voice chat on TeamSpeak. You will be seeing some hosting offers from me soon, (cheap!) Reseller accounts at that.