How to win in the admin panel wars

TheBoss

Over the past week, I have found out exactly why cPanel and Plesk thrive. I have tried nearly every single panel out there. Not one came out of the box with SSL installed for the admin section. Let's Encrypt is a no-show on many of the panels. What?

Installing SSL is too tedious for me. I don't have that kind of patience. When I try, I always realize that I am using some old documentation that no longer works. Try to install DKIM. Forgetabout it unless you are a Linux guru.

cPanel and Plesk rarely need documentation because they just simply work! My cPanel license price is worth it to me, at least after this week.

cPanel is feature rich, comes with more supporting options for webhosting.
There is no actual replacements for cPanel yet.
But the recent changes in price severely affected thel industry as more than 60% of the servers used cPanel for hosting.

I'm sorry, did someone say they were a web hosting company and that SSL installation was too tedious?

Hopefully your clients don't read that!

Simple system admin tasks are expected of web hosts. Heck, complex tasks are expected, after all, you're responsible for your client's businesses to be online all the time.

I become more and more disappointed with the level of knowledge people have when running a hosting company. I'm not saying that you need to know everything when starting out, but a level of wanting to know how something works should be a requirement.

Let's Encrypt is a no-show on many of the panels. What?

Let's Encrypt is relatively new in the world of SSL just like the cpanel autoinstall feature.
These only come about due to google and other browsers no longer indexing non SSL website and showing SSL warnings if i site has no SSL cert.
Installing SSL is too tedious for me. I don't have that kind of patience.

If that's the case you are in the wrong business as this is one of the easiest task a host can do and should offer it to their clients.

The AutoSSL feature helped webhosting providers to setup their customer's domains with free SSL which reduced the overhead of additional bills.

The AutoSSL feature helped webhosting providers to setup their customer's domains with free SSL which reduced the overhead of additional bills.

But the free autoSSL is just a free ssl the same as Let's Encrypt which is fine for blogs and personal websites, but no good for commercial websites where you need a paid SSL.

The SSL install feature built into cPanel makes ordering and install SSL certs a simple process. If a webhost funds this tedious then they are in the wrong business

I'm sorry, did someone say they were a web hosting company and that SSL installation was too tedious?

Hopefully your clients don't read that!

Simple system admin tasks are expected of web hosts. Heck, complex tasks are expected, after all, you're responsible for your client's businesses to be online all the time.

I become more and more disappointed with the level of knowledge people have when running a hosting company. I'm not saying that you need to know everything when starting out, but a level of wanting to know how something works should be a requirement.

You're 100% right....More and more the level of knowledge is going down probably people are too much depending of automatic process that some times can be extremely dangerous and not in 100% control. I tested DirectAdmin (being a long ride cPanel) and it is nice, can be customized very easy but is different. I tested Directadmin with Ngix & Apache and is fast. not so much loading it looks OK. I like DA, not bad !

Regards,

You're 100% right....More and more the level of knowledge is going down probably people are too much depending of automatic process that some times can be extremely dangerous and not in 100% control.

That is only 1 issue.

Another is the long time eBay culture.

You get companies selling unlimited Super Alpha, Alpha, Master Reseller and Reseller plans for a few $$ a year.
So you get people purchasing these and then calling themselves webhosts when they have no experience or knowledge, so if a clients asked something they have no idea what they are doing and say any task is tedious.

I kinda hate every panel, I rather do everything manually to save on the overhead :p

Panels really come into themselves once you're hosting hundreds of clients and thousands of domains, try doing it all manually then.

That is only 1 issue.

Another is the long time eBay culture.

You get companies selling unlimited Super Alpha, Alpha, Master Reseller and Reseller plans for a few $$ a year.
So you get people purchasing these and then calling themselves webhosts when they have no experience or knowledge, so if a clients asked something they have no idea what they are doing and say any task is tedious.

You're right, I am old fashion I don't do things that I am not in control or I don't know what I am doing...especially playing with customers data. It is better to don't do it if you don't know it. It is enough 5 minutes to ruin years or more experience...And if is IT don't trust people saying they have over 25 years of experience...This domain is changing from day to day...I worked professionally in IT since 90's and still I have to learn every day new things...

Last edited:
You're right, I am old fashion I don't do things that I am not in control or I don't know what I am doing...especially playing with customers data. It is better to don't do it if you don't know it. It is enough 5 minutes to ruin years or more experience...And if is IT don't trust people saying they have over 25 years of experience...This domain is changing from day to day...I worked professionally in IT since 90's and still I have to learn every day new things...

I ran my hosting business from 1999 to 2018 and was constantly learning, as a 1 man band i chose a managed server as it gave me that extra help if i ever needed it.
But these days where people have less disposable income they just look at price and will use ebay etc.
Then we have just to be around when these people come looking for a real host moaning they lost everything as their host just vanished

I ran my hosting business from 1999 to 2018 and was constantly learning, as a 1 man band i chose a managed server as it gave me that extra help if i ever needed it.
But these days where people have less disposable income they just look at price and will use ebay etc.
Then we have just to be around when these people come looking for a real host moaning they lost everything as their host just vanished

Well, there is an expression: "I am too poor to accept cheap things !" :)

Well, there is an expression: "I am too poor to accept cheap things !" :)

Yes and as humans we are too trusting in some cases.

If people stood back and took time then they would see these for what they are.

How many times is it in the media about these telephone scams, yet people still fall for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tombarko8