How to tell...

Duality

When I go on hosting websites, how can I tell if I'm buying reseller hosting. It's kind of hard to explain but if Company A is selling reseller hosting and Company B buys it and resells it, is there a way I can tell if Company B is selling reseller hosting they bought from another company?

Thanks!

These days it is difficult if not impossible to tell.
If you do the proper research it shouldn't make any difference.
Look for reviews of the company, find out how long they have been in business etc.

I agree with Blue. Although, at times even if they are reselling reseller service you can find them to be as reliable as their other hosting services are. It all boils down to that if they resell reseller services they could be getting a discount for reselling them. I would look at their reliability and reputation before deciding.

The most common way, and best way to tell, is to whois the domain, and check the nameservers.

MOST reseller's would use their regular host's nameservers other than going through the trouble to create their own..

Actually, most resellers will use private name servers. That is why it is difficult to tell.

Well.. It also depends on how 'popular' the host is, I would think most don't use their own name servers..

That's what I'm trying to get at. The host that I'm using now, Bluehost, is using Reseller hosting and I didn't know that it was. I actually wanted to have normal shared hosting instead of reseller. I'm not saying reseller is bad though.

I personally step all of my resellers on our servers through setting up their own name servers and IP addresses - Gives them their own personality. I dont prefer to have their clients knowing that I am their server host, and have them coming to me with their issues if the reseller goes under or has his or her own issues.

Duality,

There's nothing bad about using a host who's on a reseller account as long as he's providing you with the level of service you want

Caronet is right. As long as they provide you with the service and support that you want, you should be just fine. But reputation does play a big role in it. I do not know for myself, but I was told that some resellers have 5GB of space, but sell out 6 - 8 GB of space in hopes that their customers will not use the full alotted space, so they can make more money. I am not sure if this is a common practice or not, but I think you should know.

ServerMan said:
I do not know for myself, but I was told that some resellers have 5GB of space, but sell out 6 - 8 GB of space in hopes that their customers will not use the full alotted space, so they can make more money. I am not sure if this is a common practice or not, but I think you should know.

This is one of the things I am concerned about.

I used to be a hosting company called Servage and they offered a lot of space and bandwidth. I planned on starting an arcade website with them. I got my arcade popular and everything was going smooth until one day I got the dreaded "This site has been shut down, please conatct billing for more information," message. I tried logging into my Control Panel and it didn't work so I sent an e-mail to them. I received an e-mail stating that my hsoting was shut down due to too many resources being taken up.

I had checked my stats the day before and I didn't even reach up to 10% of the specifications they showed in their advertisement.

I'm just hoping that a situation like that never occurs again.

Duality said:
This is one of the things I am concerned about.

I used to be a hosting company called Servage and they offered a lot of space and bandwidth. I planned on starting an arcade website with them. I got my arcade popular and everything was going smooth until one day I got the dreaded "This site has been shut down, please conatct billing for more information," message. I tried logging into my Control Panel and it didn't work so I sent an e-mail to them. I received an e-mail stating that my hsoting was shut down due to too many resources being taken up.

I had checked my stats the day before and I didn't even reach up to 10% of the specifications they showed in their advertisement.

I'm just hoping that a situation like that never occurs again.
This is why you should not go for those that offer ridiculous amount of space/bandwidth for a very low price. The best and in my opinion more customer-oriented companies know where to set the borders. Not to get me wrong, I offer really low prices and don't sacrifice the amount of resources I'm using, Most of the ones that operate those type of companies seem to 'oversell.' From this one should draw their own opinion. This isn't always resellers doing this either.

Well, I use servage right now, because i cant afford a dedicated server, but I was told that they 'cancel' every account at about 78GB Used.

Im only using like 40GB and I plan to switch to a dedicated server soon.

but I was told that they 'cancel' every account at about 78GB Used.
That's quite likely in reference to data transfer used per day.

From http://www.servage.net/show/?menuHeader=4&menuSub=13&page=about_tos
Bandwidth and Disk Usage:
Customer agrees that bandwidth and disk usage shall not exceed the number of megabytes per month for the Services ordered by Customer on the Order Form and must be fairly distributed over the month. Customers are able to use 70 Gb daily totaling 2100 Gb in a normal 30 day month. A 28 day month provides 1960 Gb transfer and a 31 day month will allow a total of 2170 Gb transfer. Sites that consume over our daily limit on a regular basis period will be disabled and client must look into another Web hosting provider to accommodate those high bandwidth needs. Servage will monitor Customer's bandwidth and disk usage. Servage shall have the right to take corrective action if Customer's bandwidth or disk usage exceeds the Agreed Usage. Such corrective action may include the assessment of additional charges, disconnection or discontinuance of any and all Services, or termination of this Agreement, which actions may be taken is in Servage's sole and absolute discretion. If Servage takes any corrective action under this section, Customer shall not be entitled to a refund of any fees paid in advance prior to such action.

I agree that if people are over-selling their resale servers, that can be a problem. But other than that, there isn't a lot of difference. The bottom line is that if something physically were to go wrong with the server, it doesn't much matter if it's being fixed by the person who sold you your hosting, or the person who sold the hosting to them - as long as it gets fixed.

Many resellers are great website and hosting managers, are very helpful to their clients for all the every day 'little things' that you need from a hosting provider. Do they all need to have the technical know-how to actually fix the hardware? I'd rather go with a reputable reseller who focuses on the things they do best, while allowing the actual physical hosting company to take care of the hardware in the way they know best.

Sometimes you can use websites like www.dnsstuff.com to determine the root source of the service provided. But, these days with anonymous nameservers/private nameservers it can be very hard, if not impossible to tell if company b is a reseller or a server owner.

Duality said:
When I go on hosting websites, how can I tell if I'm buying reseller hosting. It's kind of hard to explain but if Company A is selling reseller hosting and Company B buys it and resells it, is there a way I can tell if Company B is selling reseller hosting they bought from another company?

Thanks!
Most companies do this. Unless this a company that owns there own data center. Either way its still Reseller hosting

Last edited:
SuperbHosting said:
Most companies do this. Unless this a company that owns there own data center. Either way its still Reseller hosting
Not accurate.

It is not reselling if you rent a server or use colo services. You do not have to own a datacenter, in order to be classified as a "non-reseller".

You will always have an upstream, but this doesn't make you a reseller.

ANMMark said:
Not accurate.

It is not reselling if you rent a server or use colo services. You do not have to own a datacenter, in order to be classified as a "non-reseller".

You will always have an upstream, but this doesn't make you a reseller.
Exactly. not everyone walks around with thousands of dollars in their pocket not to have an upstream