How many servers in your network?

NexDog

Hey,

So just how many servers do you have? What are specs? Let's see what you've got and be truthful!

I got 3 currently on production:
1) p3 866 / 512 RAM
2) p3 866 / 512 RAM
3) 2x p3 1000 / 1 GB RAM

so whats yours?

Hehe, the poll has 3-5 and 5-10 and then 10-20. What happens for those with 5 or 10 servers? ;)

For shared hosting we have 5 right now:
2x P3 1Ghz 1GB Ram SCSI Dell 1550
1x Dual P3 800Mhz 1GB Ram SCSI Dell 1400
1x 64-bit 500Mhz IDE Netra X1
1x P3 1Ghz 512MB Ram IDE Custom

Who has

Hey who has 20+ servers but dons't have their own Data center?
Just curious also why if they have 20+ servers do they not yet have their own data center?

Just curious
Thanks

20 servers isn't a whole lot. Maybe 200. 20 servers doesn't even fill one rack (well, I guess it could...).

True

True but I would think thatif you have 20 servers why not take a bussiness loan out and do some marketing and build your bussiness up alittle more. With 20 servers the person I am sure has a good client base.

Sorry I am tired and sticking my nose somewhere I probably shouldn't lol

... I got to click the "I have my own DC" option!!!! WooHoo! Not long ago I wouldn't have been able to do that :D

We had 20+ servers and continued to collocate with a private company for quite some time. Owning your own DC is quite expensive and 20+ servers, as someone already noted, doesn't always fill up even one cabinet. The expense for space, power, fire, etc to house that cabinet is high.

For some it may be a great thing and for others it would be a silly expensive move. It took us a few years to make the jump and knowing what I know now I am quite happy we waited as long as we did rather than jumping in a while ago. We're ready now, but I doubt we would have survived the expenses then.

Our latest Community Server to go into production is as follows:
Intel ISP2150G
PIII-1GHz
1GB pc_100 ECC SDRAM
Dual 72GB Quantum Atlas 10KIII SCSI Drives

Deb we thought you died LOL. We never heard from you or saw you in WHT or HostHideout. ;) Looking forward to another show. I'm expecting ya heh.

We have our own DC, and we are very proud of it.

Total servers (owned by us): 51
Co-Located Servers: 12

Total Power bill: priceless

:)

Total Power bill: priceless
ROFL!! TOO TRUE!
Deb we thought you died LOL.
It's the final stretch for us... The last part of our move is being completed this weekend. There were a few times over the past week I thought I was gonna die lol. Once this weekend is over I hope to be back at full swing :)

Nice to know I'm missed :D

what do you mean "you own a DC"? Like ... you have your own racks in a telco/colo neutral?

cheers,
:beer:

Re: Lingo

Sessionmedia said:
both mean the same thing

No they don't. :)

Data Center - Place where the servers are kept and connected

Network Operations Center - Place where the humans are kept and connected to monitor and operate the Data Center.

Sometimes they are the same physical location, sometimes they aren't.

I stand corrected

OK

I always thought they were the same thing Same place

"Data Center - Place where the servers are kept and connected

Network Operations Center - Place where the humans are kept and connected to monitor and operate the Data Center. "

I did not think you could run and monitor your servers if you are not on location?
Although I guess when thinking about some one that Co-locates or a reseller I guess you can say thay have a DC (where their server physically is) and their NOC is where ever they personally are (like in their home sitting infront of their computer) ??

:)

So
"Network Operations Center - Place where the humans are kept and connected to monitor and operate the Data Center."

If this is not the same location as where the servers actually are how do they service their servers and prevent or fix any problems their servers may be having?

Although I guess if I were to think of a DC and a NOC of being to different places I guess I would think of someone who Co-locates a machine. You could say that persons DC is where the Machine actually is and their NOC is where they are (example Sitting in their home infront of their computer) moinitoring their servers via telenet and ftp ? :p

Would this be correct??

Let's take the data center we colocate in as an example. Their first data center is in Charlotte, NC. Their NOC runs out of there. In that case, the DC and NOC are at the same location and the NOC is staffed 24/7.

They then opened a DC in Jacksonville, FL (where we have our servers). That DC is monitored and controlled 24/7 from Charlotte. There are people that work in the Jax DC, but the main NOC is in Charlotte. The Jax DC has a mini NOC in it with monitoring tools and all that, but the main one (and the one we contact on off-hours) is in Charlotte. If they need a warm body at the DC in Jax, they call one of their on-call admins and they get the problem fixed rapidly.

They just opened another one in Tampa, FL. I assume the same goes there -- the 24/7 NOC in Charlotte takes care of things while the admins aren't at the DC in Tampa.

While there are 3 different NOCs, the 3 DCs are also controlled by the NOC in the one main location, particularly 24/7.

Make sense? :) I hope that all came out right.

We've got 1 server at Genius Hosting Services for the moment, with following specs:
40GB harddisk
512MB RAM
1GHz AMD Duron

but next week we're going to move to a new server:
dual 40GB harddisk (2x40GB)
1GB RAM
1GHz AMD Duron

both have 400GB transfer (RackShack)

Re: Who has

Sessionmedia said:
Hey who has 20+ servers but dons't have their own Data center?
Just curious also why if they have 20+ servers do they not yet have their own data center?

Just curious
Thanks

We have WAAAAAY more than 20. But we dont need a datacenter because:

- We use LayerOne
- It costs us MUCH MUCH MUCH less than running our own DC
- It is a very secure DC
- There are 40 b/w providers in the NOC and we can pick as many as we like for our private network
- Layerone is truely state of the art

Building our own DC would require a lot of investment, plus I'm not in USA so I dont see a DC for our firm happening any time soon :)

- Asher.