How long have you been hosting?

BlackStorm

How long have you been running your hosting company for?
Did you offer what you do now when you first started?
Has everything gone to plan so far according to your business plan? (Assuming you have one. If any host is over one month old and tells me it has, don’t, we all know its lies ;))

What do you wish you could change about the past of your hosting company, if anything?
Are you happy with how its going so far?
What were your reasons for starting out in the hosting business? How did you first get involved and interested?

I've been hosting myself since May 2003, but was with my friend Ryan for a while before that.. I was looking to keep going on my own, but I ended up merging with a local hosting company around here, which made it alot better for both our companies. I like the way it turned out and I am glad it happened, although, was never planned to happen.

Do you know how long they have been up for business?
I started in 2002 but i only did free hosting at first.
Closed the free hosting just a few days ago on my site so only really doing premium for now, will still be doing free accounts at special occasions though :)

2 plus years We started in MAR 2001 with the domain TriStateISP.com

Wish I had at the start, known how important uptime and service is.I thought I would pinch a few pennys and save big....well I lost big.If I had all the customers now that I had lost (downtimes beyond my control from cheap datacenters and providers) I would be very large now.

BUT
We are now back on track with quality service being 1st,price for customers 2nd.

Has it panned out like I thought?

No... but I am getting a higher quality of customers now that want their websites to be up all the time and dont care to pay for that.

thanks
Chris

That is unfortinate about your first experiences, however, I know exactly what you mean, went through the EXACT same thing, not good at all.

However, luckily for both of us, we both got better clients to host and don't mind paying for the quality.

Also, great to have you aboard grace5 :)

That True & welcome board grace5

grace5 said:
2 plus years We started in MAR 2001 with the domain TriStateISP.com

Wish I had at the start, known how important uptime and service is.I thought I would pinch a few pennys and save big....well I lost big.If I had all the customers now that I had lost (downtimes beyond my control from cheap datacenters and providers) I would be very large now.

BUT
We are now back on track with quality service being 1st,price for customers 2nd.

Has it panned out like I thought?

No... but I am getting a higher quality of customers now that want their websites to be up all the time and dont care to pay for that.

thanks
Chris

FastNetServers

Two Hundred and Nine posts later and still no site?? Sounds like you should disable alt+tab on your machine so you can work on your site more!!! :)

Hehe,

Ive been hosting for a while now. I started out back in 1999 with a company called Blackline Networks. There were 4 of us with 2 machines hosting IRCDs, BNC, Eggdrops and so on. That fell apart after about 1 year (we were paying $380 a month per machine) and after while it was too much.

Then I started up Dytel Web Solutions by my self. This was aimed more at web hosting and not IRC (tired of DOS attacks). I ran that mainly for myself and experience and for my friends. After a while word of mouth got out I guess and I started getting random sign ups.

Then in May of '03 I teamed up with a friend of mine and we formed Vovex Technology. We now handle hosting, dedicated servers, custom computers, web design, email services and local computer repair.

That True :(

Vovex Technology said:
FastNetServers

Two Hundred and Nine posts later and still no site?? Sounds like you should disable alt+tab on your machine so you can work on your site more!!! :)

Hehe,

Ive been hosting for a while now. I started out back in 1999 with a company called Blackline Networks. There were 4 of us with 2 machines hosting IRCDs, BNC, Eggdrops and so on. That fell apart after about 1 year (we were paying $380 a month per machine) and after while it was too much.

Then I started up Dytel Web Solutions by my self. This was aimed more at web hosting and not IRC (tired of DOS attacks). I ran that mainly for myself and experience and for my friends. After a while word of mouth got out I guess and I started getting random sign ups.

Then in May of '03 I teamed up with a friend of mine and we formed Vovex Technology. We now handle hosting, dedicated servers, custom computers, web design, email services and local computer repair.
:(

Will be 2 years in Arpil for me. And boy, this year was a little scarry. But, I think I am over the hump and in for the long haul now.

How long have you been running your hosting company for?
My first company ran for about 1/2 year, then I merged with my current company that's been around for over a year now.

Did you offer what you do now when you first started?
Similar but cheaper prices. This was back when I had a reseller account and frankly did not know that much about overselling which is why my costs for space and transfer were cheaper.

Has everything gone to plan so far according to your business plan?
I can say yes to that one. I've had to make a few modifications along the way, but things have gone quite well.

What do you wish you could change about the past of your hosting company, if anything?
Frankly, absolutely nothings besides more customers. I'm very happy with how things have gone.

Are you happy with how its going so far?

Quite happy really, we're building on a reputation for over a year now and it's just an enjoyable line of work.

What were your reasons for starting out in the hosting business? How did you first get involved and interested?
About a year and a half ago, I was in search of a good host for some personal work. I started becoming interested in hosting and started seeing firsthand some of the scams going on. I decided that starting my own company would be profitable for me, but more importantly, it'd help out others in the very same shoes as myself. I found a forum known as WHT a little bit later, and I've been learning more and more each day.