How do you deal with PayPal chargebacks?

If there is a Chargeback you can contest in the dispute resolution. But if the chargeback was done due to use of unauthorized Transaction need to honuor the refund.

I have a very simple policy regarding chargebacks. Don't give in.

I tend to take it to the highest level I can, and usually can prove my case pretty solidly. I think in just over 14 years (yikes), I've only lost a handful of chargebacks... Then again, I maintain a relationship with clients where I don't have them.

Whether I win, or lose, the chargeback user is immediately suspended and reported to fraudrecord. That kind of abuse won't be tolerated, at all.

There's no specific way to deal with a charge back from a customer. PayPal allows a customer to complete a chargeback within 45-days! This is why our Refund Policy in our Terms of Service offers a 45-day money back guarantee. If a end-user completes a Unauthorized Transaction Form against PayPal and our business, we work with a Legal Advisor in order to obtain whether the claim is really unauthorized. We normally tend to refund all customers for all services besides Dedicated Servers as our prices are 50% below market value.

Thank you.

There's no specific way to deal with a charge back from a customer. PayPal allows a customer to complete a chargeback within 45-days! This is why our Refund Policy in our Terms of Service offers a 45-day money back guarantee. If a end-user completes a Unauthorized Transaction Form against PayPal and our business, we work with a Legal Advisor in order to obtain whether the claim is really unauthorized. We normally tend to refund all customers for all services besides Dedicated Servers as our prices are 50% below market value.

Thank you.

Well that covers you against PayPal disputes but not chargebacks. Chargebacks have a much longer window for a chargeback to take place and if that is the case, PayPal will hold the funds on your account until the chargeback has been resolved. I believe the chargeback for card issuers is around 120 days but can go up/down based on certain factors.

Really there isn't a need for a legal advisor in a chargeback case and unless you have some really large contracts in place, wouldn't the legal advisor cost you more than the chargeback itself?

PayPal allows a customer to complete a chargeback within 45-days!
No they dont. Paypal allows you to open a Paypal Claim within 45 days, this is totally different to a chargeback.

A chargeback is initiated by a card provider and can be started within 120 days.

You will find that if you have used Paypal some banks/card providers wont allow chargebacks as paypal is a 3rd party payment service, so any disputes needs to be started through paypal.

you will need strong evidence to fight a Paypal claim and win, but either way if a client submits a claim then their account get suspended pending termination.

In a first place you should avoid dealing with the clients that want to make a chargeback.
Don't advertise you business on some shady sites, it's a higher chance of people with hacked accounts, stolen cc or fraudsters.
When somebody buys a hosting, check their info. If something doesn't add up, ask for an ID proof. You can disable service before chargeback.
Also don't be lazy to call paypal.

In a first place you should avoid dealing with the clients that want to make a chargeback.
Don't advertise you business on some shady sites, it's a higher chance of people with hacked accounts, stolen cc or fraudsters.
When somebody buys a hosting, check their info. If something doesn't add up, ask for an ID proof. You can disable service before chargeback.
Also don't be lazy to call paypal.

It is not so much where you advertise, but it is all down to what systems you have in place when orders are made.

we have maxmind and fraudrecord, we also dont provide instant setups and orders remain pending until we manually approve them, but even people can pass these and still make Paypal claims or card chargebacks.

Well if you advertise your hosting on some black-hat forums and sites there is going to be much more shady clients then advertising on sites like HD.

Well if you advertise your hosting on some black-hat forums and sites there is going to be much more shady clients then advertising on sites like HD.

But the trick is having the systems in place to stop them from signing up/orderings services in the first place as if they cant order anything then less chance of you getting claims or chargebacks

sure, but like you said even with maxmind and fraudrecord in place this can be passed.

there is a lot of factors.

sure, but like you said even with maxmind and fraudrecord in place this can be passed.

there is a lot of factors.

very few fraudsters will ever pass if you have the right system in place, as if they fail then fraudsters will never question why it failed as they will just move on hoping to find a host that does not have all the security.

You will get genuine clients that if they come across an issue they will make a PP claim etc. before contacting you.

just because they make a claim or a chargeback does not make they a fraudster, but any client making such a claim should be dealt with by removing them as a customer and even make a report on fraudrecord.

Well for one, never accept payments from unverified accounts. In my experience, 99% of them are fake.
Other than that, scammers are pretty lame and usually keep usually the same IP, email address or writing style. It is pretty easy to detect one. Also an anti-fraud system in place goes a long way.
In case all this fails, just put all the data in paypal and let them decide. You most certainly do not have any other option.

We usually refund if it's within a reasonable time frame. It makes the customer happy and we don't have to waste time. If it happens more than once from the same source we make an effort to stop it.

Yes as long as you submit proof of service given then you mostly always win.

The only way you would win with evidence is if the IP used to connect to your services is the same one Paypal logs when they contact them.

Saying that they have used your service is no evidence it is the true paypal account holder.

Lets say someone uses a stolen credit card to sign up for your services through a hacked Paypal account.

They may use your service for 2 months before the card user notices, so they set a chargeback.
all you can prove is the scammer has used your account for 2 months, you cant prove the true card holder has used your services

Paypal is the leading industry in online payment processing and pretty much still has a limited control over charge backs. At time Paypal should be at fault as they do not take the necessary steps to monitor transactions. Why is that a fraudster with a static ip address can create another paypal account and de fraud someone else or use the same ip address to hack another account. We understand the fundamental issue is that we can't know who is behind a computer but why is there any communication between clients->bank->payal before a transaction is completed. Why is there not a transaction code or approval each level to reduce chargebacks. @easyhostmedia i am happy that you have been successful in skillful get a charge back null but not all evidence can assist with the chargebacks where customer lies. I used ID verfication, phone caells, TOS and everything under the sun but still can't win a chargeback as this how the cc system is online.

Paypal is the leading industry in online payment processing and pretty much still has a limited control over charge backs. At time Paypal should be at fault as they do not take the necessary steps to monitor transactions. Why is that a fraudster with a static ip address can create another paypal account and de fraud someone else or use the same ip address to hack another account. We understand the fundamental issue is that we can't know who is behind a computer but why is there any communication between clients->bank->payal before a transaction is completed. Why is there not a transaction code or approval each level to reduce chargebacks. @easyhostmedia i am happy that you have been successful in skillful get a charge back null but not all evidence can assist with the chargebacks where customer lies. I used ID verfication, phone caells, TOS and everything under the sun but still can't win a chargeback as this how the cc system is online.

you need to understand how paypal is set up and then understand your own countries Laws, which will over ride anything paypal has written

But Paypals Non Tangible policy aid scammers as anyone can set up a paypal account and then set up a website and state they offer downloadable products, so you order a download product, but get nothing, so dispute in PP and all you will get is sorry cant help as it is non tangible.

The downside of rejecting chargebacks or disputes is that the customer will blame you throughout the whole internet. You really want to think twice if you want to catch this and start discussing on boards to show that you acted correct. If you have enough free time do it otherwise just accept that you lost money.