How can I solve it? 404 Error!!

JennyNguyen

Hey Members,

I am a complete newbie and do not know much about website issues. Since the last day, I am facing a 404 error on my website and my website is not opening. I don't know what to do in this situation. Please if anyone knows the exact solution to this.

Thanks!!

A 404 error means that the page can't be found. You can also get these if an image is not found or other pieces that is required by the page to load, but in general, if you see 404 on the page, then it's the page itself that doesn't exist.

What site/url are you trying to load?

Redirecting your 404 error code to another page is the simplest and most straightforward solution. A 301 redirect can be used to accomplish this goal. You might be wondering what 301 is. It's a redirect response code that informs a browser that the content has been moved to a different URL.

Backup is always a good idea. They say there are two kinds of people, those who already do backups and those who will do it. ;):cool:
getting clients to do their own backups is a hard task as many don't do these and ones that do will backup to their own hosting account, which defeats the purpose. when i was hosting i go tired of clients asking for backups of their site, even though i had jet backup so they could download recent backups, so i decided to add backups to hostings plans for £2 a month which allowed clients who paid they unlimited backups, if they did not pay this £2 per month and wanted a copy of their backup then they paid £20

Make sure to take regular backups, so that you do not have to just redo everything and just restore to a previously saved backup.

404 Not Found an error is the standardized HTTP code standard and it's shown when website content has been removed or moved to another URL.

1. Retry the web page by pressing F5, clicking/tapping the refresh/reload button, or trying the URL from the address bar again.
  2. Check for errors in the URL.
  3. Move up one directory level at a time in the URL until you find something.
  4. Search for the page from a popular search engine.

You should ask your web host regarding the issue, this could be misconfig with .htaccess file or software related issue. May I know which software are you using for your website along with a screenshot?

The typical trigger for an error 404 message is when website content has been removed or moved to another URL. There are also other reasons why an error message could appear. These include:
  • The URL or its content (such as files or images) was either deleted or moved (without adjusting any internal links accordingly)
  • The URL was written incorrectly (during the creation process or a redesign), linked incorrectly, or typed into the browser incorrectly
Confirm your URL again, If it is right then take the help of a technical person to resolve this issue.

Sometimes it happens that we are entering wrong url,

But it's good that you already had a backup so you could recover easily

While having a backup is great, files/pages don't just disappear on their own, so I would really want to know where the page went.

WRONG

from https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/how-to-fix-error-404#

Error 404 is a client-side issue indicating the requested URL can't be found on the server. It may occur because of several reasons, such as the domain is not pointed correctly, a broken. htaccess file, or misconfigured file permissions.
Misconfigured permissions on the public_html folder perhaps, but not typically for a file. Misconfigured permissions on a file will typically result in a 403.

Hey Members,

I am a complete newbie and do not know much about website issues. Since the last day, I am facing a 404 error on my website and my website is not opening. I don't know what to do in this situation. Please if anyone knows the exact solution to this.

Thanks!!
See if its WordPress, then do check htaccess rewrite rules and if its correct Login to WP Dashboard > Settings > Permalinks and like SAVE

It could be related to file permissions as well and for that, you have enough suggestions now.

See if its WordPress, then do check htaccess rewrite rules and if its correct Login to WP Dashboard > Settings > Permalinks and like SAVE

It could be related to file permissions as well and for that, you have enough suggestions now.
If it is WordPress, that is definitely a common issue.