Host moved to mariadb

davem

I have a lot of issues since my host, namecheap.com switched from MySQL to mariadb.
One complete table was dropped in the changeover (newsfeeds)
since I have a testing site for new plug-ins. I just removed joomla and then installed again completely fresh.
Now, I still have a database error shown below.

Database schema version (in #__schemas): 3.7.0-2017-04-19.
Update version (in #__extensions): 3.7.2.
Database driver: mysqli.
145 database changes were checked successfully.
173 database changes did not alter table structure and were skipped.

I cannot enter and save an article or module. The save does not work.

Anybody else have a similar issue

I have requested the host go back to MySQL, but they are committed to maria and want no part of the issues.
I have many, many sites built on this host and this could put me in deep trouble.
I have a ton of sites on namecheap, and it will be a daunting task moving all of them

Does namecheap do backups? I believe it is a added cost right? Iv'e seen alot of terrible reviews with namecheap lately. Might be time to back your bags and find a new provider if mysql is necessary im sure you can find a few good deals in the offer section!

Id have to agree, it may be time to find a host whichcan give you MySQL. Its a nightmare trying to move DBs across to different platforms, youll always end up with an error somewhere.

Interesting. I think Namecheap works well for domains, but I too have seen a number of complaints recently about their services.

They are good at domains, just like 123-reg, but hopeless at anything else.
even with SSL certificates, they are find when you first purchase one, but always messes up renewals ( which comodo have admitted to me when they messed up a couple of mine), but Comodo wont do anything as they are their biggest distributor

They are good at domains, just like 123-reg, but hopeless at anything else.
even with SSL certificates, they are find when you first purchase one, but always messes up renewals ( which comodo have admitted to me when they messed up a couple of mine), but Comodo wont do anything as they are their biggest distributor

Doesn't sound good! nothing more annoying then having to sort out expired SSLs or anything else like that

We upgraded from MySQL 5.7 to MariaDB 10.1 way back when.

Having copied the user accounts from three live machines into a test lab machine and then running the migration scripts we had no issues.
When doing it on the live servers we had 2 machines with minor hiccups but no data was ever lost, and the additional downtime did not exceed SLA allowances.

Also as we knew this was a database upgrade, so we had dumped all of the database data (user by user, using a script) before starting the migrations. Just in case disaster struck.

It's possible the Namecheap did the same, it's inexcusable not to have done so.

I'm not sure how much time has past, but you might be able to ask for the dumps.

However, I'm sure that if you have frequented this site long enough, it will have been pointed out that customers are usually required to keep their own backups. (We back up all data every hour, keeping 3 months of backups, but we still require the customer to keep their own regular off-site backups).

It would be interesting to hear how you get on.

I have a lot of issues since my host, namecheap.com switched from MySQL to mariadb.
One complete table was dropped in the changeover (newsfeeds)
since I have a testing site for new plug-ins. I just removed joomla and then installed again completely fresh.
Now, I still have a database error shown below.

Database schema version (in #__schemas): 3.7.0-2017-04-19.
Update version (in #__extensions): 3.7.2.
Database driver: mysqli.
145 database changes were checked successfully.
173 database changes did not alter table structure and were skipped.

I cannot enter and save an article or module. The save does not work.

Anybody else have a similar issue

I have requested the host go back to MySQL, but they are committed to maria and want no part of the issues.
I have many, many sites built on this host and this could put me in deep trouble.
I have a ton of sites on namecheap, and it will be a daunting task moving all of them

I think I'd find a new web host.

I would contact them about a backup as any host worth 2 cents would and should have done a dump of all databases before changing over.

I would contact them about a backup as any host worth 2 cents would and should have done a dump of all databases before changing over.

Both cPanel and DirectAdmin should by default do this when you update a database, only a very stupid host would choose not to do this,

Hmm, something smells fishy here.

If your host upgraded you to Maria (it really is an upgrade), and your code doesn't work any more, you need to find out what's wrong with your code, not blame your host.

If you're relying on old versions of MySQL (5.0.xxx or 5.1.xxx even), then you need to get up to date. Things are not going to remain that dated forever.

=^0 Always bugs me when somebody who doesn't really understand the technology reflexively blames the host.

I migrated a bunch of servers when we committed to MariaDB a couple years ago -- not a single broken database.

I've moved DB's to maria and from maria, and really, nothing to eat. Easy peasy. Simply export the DB and you've got a working DB.

Now, again, if you're talking about running old stuff here, then that's on you. Get your crap together and update your code. I mean, come on now!