Hello and such!

paradiseweb

Just joined on here and have learned a ton in just a couple of days. I have offered hosting to my web design clients, with just a simple resell account through HG who I have used for years for my web design business. It is tiny, on the side, but I love doing it. I teach web design as well, am the network admin at my school, and the tech coordinator (help desk and budget guy). Anyways, I am really trying to get into reselling better/more, and have even talked to friends that are venture capitalists about hosting company. Austin is well known for tech saavy, so even having that location makes people think you know what you are doing. The idea of colocation sounds cooler and cooler the more I learn about it, but we shall see. Man that is a long message... really just saying hi! :D

Hey, it is totally great to have people like you join HostingDiscussion.com!

Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself and your goals. You are certainly in the right place if you want to expand your knowledge about the hosting industry. We have amazing members who collectively know an answer to ANY question, so feel free to ask away. :)

From what I know in the many years that I follow this industry, is that going to venture capitalists off the bat is not the best idea. Most of the successful hosting companies started as small shops, with the right ideas and management. You are already familiar with what reselling us. Just go with a single dedicated server, focus on your local market and try to rely on your existing clients to spread the word, which is always the best method of advertising there is. Sooner or later you'll be on your way.

The point I am trying to make is that you CAN be successful without serious financing from VCs.

Anyway, just saying welcome and let me know if you have any questions, feel free to contact me directly.

The VC's are friends, mainly to see if my plan is even a viable one. Do not want outside $$ unless I need anything big. How do folks even get to the size of big DC's?