Google gets into Domain Sales

Hard to say. Google is not really known for first class customer support which is something some registrars are providing and some remain loyal clients for.

What they're marketing as being free is not really something unique (free privacy protection for example) which is being offered at numerous registrars already. Then again, there are some large companies not offering such benefits.

Only time will tell :).

What is the link to their registration page? All I end up with is Google Apps for Business.

I think how Google changes domain name registration depends on how they plan to monetize domain name sales. For sure they'll monetize the standard way.

I think it we look at the pattern, there's no question that they're going to try to do something with search and targetted advertising. My question is what? Are they going to muck with DNS servers to force advertising through their system?

It's interesting, to me, that Google is peering directly with telcos both through Google and through YouTube. Forcing all domain name traffic through their facilities would be possible so maybe web content gets filtered through Google datacenters?

I'm just postulating - I have no way of knowing for sure. I read some of the comments on the Google blog announcement and one of them was, effectively, "Good luck catching up in the marathon of domain name registration"... I think that perspective is completely naive. Google has the depth and pockets to be a viable provider day 1.

Google is trying to enter each and every online business niche they find as profitable. I do not think there are high profit margins in the domain registration market, however there is a value. What Google is doing would not be appreciated, but this is just my opinion.

There are some facts we all know about, which now fit in the puzzle.

1) Google has the biggest cash worldwide
2) This allows them to reflect the update of domain DNS settings really soon
3) They have already launched Google DNS service, allowing ANY domain using their nameservers
4) They are working on creating web-based OS, which will make all end-user devices merely access points and diminish the needs for updating millions of OS/software copies worldwide

Now their next step is domain registration. They want you to use their Gmail, their G+ social network, their Youtube entertainment monster, their hosting, their DNS nameservers.... Why not using their domains to have all your services registered in one place?

Monopoly at its worst.

Google is trying to enter each and every online business niche they find as profitable. I do not think there are high profit margins in the domain registration market, however there is a value. What Google is doing would not be appreciated, but this is just my opinion.

Not in every case. They do have lots of projects that are not profitable for example Blogger. They have invested billions into Youtube which was not profitable for years (not sure about this year but making Youtube profitable is something they've been working on).

Would be interesting to see how they move with this though.

domains.google.com

They are following their research finding which is "%55 of small businesses still don't have a domain",

With their multiple and integrated services, they could easily reach and promote a domain to a no-domain-owned customer.

Packet3 brings up something very interesting to me. Back when Google started, their products were pretty low-touch as far as customers go. Nobody would phone up and complain that their Google search wasn't working.

What I find interesting is that they're made a move more and more to intensive customer-experience services - in this case I'm thinking of Google Fibre but their hosted productivity software is probably no less intensive.

Their timing, overall, confuses me. I assume it has something to do with automation and the time to develop it... but what I would be curious to know more about is how Google scales their customer support consistent with their new services. I don't know that just throwing more people at the problem helps solve it. They must have some other magic elixir that they're using (aka business process). I just wonder what it is.

but what I would be curious to know more about is how Google scales their customer support consistent with their new services. I don't know that just throwing more people at the problem helps solve it. They must have some other magic elixir that they're using (aka business process). I just wonder what it is.

I believe they hire teams which are specific to each service. Once upon a time I was dealing with Google Ads (I think) but had a query which involved another service. The rep I was in touch with told me they'd reach out to the relevant departments/teams (I think it was Google Checkout) to get my query addressed.

Youtube has their own team among with other products.

For this to work you would need to offer domains at a vary low cost or have 24/7 live chat and keep slim margins.

I would not recoment any compney going into domains at the moment unless you have deals for TLD's that others don't.