Goodbye Hosting Discussion

Sidular

I initially joined Hosting Discussion to calmly discuss website hosting services, as well as to stay informed on the current hosting trends and topics.
Unfortunately, my experiences here at Hosting Discussion have been the complete opposite. This was simply not the community experience I had hoped for, and when asking simple questions, I was met with some rather unfriendly advise, which did nothing more than stir up a debate that had nothing, or very little, to do with the original subject at hand.

Even though I've managed to meet some truly wonderful people, and got some amazing advice from some kind and caring individuals, the general hostility and unpleasantness I've encountered by some of the more active members cannot be ignored.

I came here seeking knowledge, and am now leaving empty-handed.

I'd like to thank Collabora for keeping an open mind, and understanding what unlimited truly is.
I'd also like to thank Artashes for warmly welcoming me to the community, and Bunnykins for being the only person to contribute to the thread above with an actual answer to the question asked.

I will return again, but likely just as an observer, rather than as a contributor.

Not really sure what else to say. So, I'll end this post here.

Unfortunately it's like this on almost every forum i've seen, not just this one. For instance i now very rarely post anything at WHT - it's too easy to get an infraction there even when genuinely trying to help someone. I am now mostly in lurk mode in the forums i read.

Tyler, thank you for your post and for your feedback.

It really is difficult to lose members, since I know how much work we put into making sure HostingDiscussion provides a great atmosphere for everyone.

People leave for various reasons: some move on to different things altogether, some quit as families take most of their time. Thankfully, rarely would we lose someone to bad personal experience. However, I cannot deny the fact that you found yourself in the middle of a heated argument, perhaps even more than one, and I sincerely apologize for that experience.

At HostingDiscussion, we try to give members a little more freedom to express themselves and wouldn't just throw an infraction in their face if the argument was emotional but valid. However, I can ensure you that when a line is crossed, our "be polite" rule is enforced, as it has been in the thread you are referring to. Members have received warnings and direct private messages from me personally.

I am telling you this because I want you to know that every single post in our community is reviewed and actions are taken, even if you don't see it. Also, I am ready to go above and beyond to save you as a member and I hope that this message will make you consider staying as a contributor. Whether you make 5 posts a week or 50, you are equally important to the well-being of our community and I would hate it if you leave because someone else ruined your mood. I would be ecstatic if you give your HD activity another chance.

At the end of the day, I cannot force you to stay. But one thing is certain - is that your decision will be respected and learned from. :)

I initially joined Hosting Discussion to calmly discuss website hosting services, as well as to stay informed on the current hosting trends and topics.
Unfortunately, my experiences here at Hosting Discussion have been the complete opposite. This was simply not the community experience I had hoped for, and when asking simple questions, I was met with some rather unfriendly advise, which did nothing more than stir up a debate that had nothing, or very little, to do with the original subject at hand.

Even though I've managed to meet some truly wonderful people, and got some amazing advice from some kind and caring individuals, the general hostility and unpleasantness I've encountered by some of the more active members cannot be ignored.

I came here seeking knowledge, and am now leaving empty-handed.

I'd like to thank Collabora for keeping an open mind, and understanding what unlimited truly is.
I'd also like to thank Artashes for warmly welcoming me to the community, and Bunnykins for being the only person to contribute to the thread above with an actual answer to the question asked.

I will return again, but likely just as an observer, rather than as a contributor.

I would, as well, ask you to reconsider. I think your take on web hosting is invaluable to this community. :)

Unfortunately, my experiences here at Hosting Discussion have been the complete opposite.
Even though I've managed to meet some truly wonderful people, and got some amazing advice from some kind and caring individuals, the general hostility and unpleasantness I've encountered by some of the more active members [especially staff] cannot be ignored.

I'm close behind you

Whats everyone on about? I have never seen any threads on here that bad and I have used this forum since 09.

Wish someone would point these threads out, I would be more than happy to tell them what for

You can check out these threads for their posts where they dont like it if you dont think their way

http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/web-hosting-discussion/33099-your-view-unlimited-hosting.html

http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/bi...checkout-nov-20-2013-further-information.html

http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/we...tting-down-google-checkout-nov-20-2013-a.html

Whats everyone on about? I have never seen any threads on here that bad and I have used this forum since 09.

Wish someone would point these threads out, I would be more than happy to tell them what for

When a Community Advisor and competitor personally calls you a liar and a thief and then the moderators tells you in PM that the accusation is justified, but gives you warnings and infractions when you call rhetorical questions meant to convey the same meaning as a "stupid question," and then chalk up the question as due to lack of industry knowledge, because that is "not friendly," something is wrong.

Last edited:
When a Community Advisor and competitor personally calls you a liar and a thief and then the moderators tells you in PM that the accusation is justified, but gives you warnings and infractions when you call rhetorical questions meant to convey the same meaning as a "stupid question" due to lack of industry knowledge because its "not friendly" something is wrong.

If i remember correctly on the thread

http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/bi...20-2013-further-information-4.html#post169186

Art asked you to

why don't you get a positive reply from a Google representative (with contact details) that will confirm a web hosting provider can use whatever solution Google has: whether it is Checkout, Wallet, Business, etc and post the answer in this forum. It seems that only YOU will be able to ask the RIGHT question and get the right answer that will specifically mention a solution from Google that a web hosting company can use to accept payments for "web hosting services".

but we are all waiting for you to do this and give us their reply to your question as you have stated everyone else is asking Google the wrong question

You can check out these threads for their posts where they dont like it if you dont think their way
Who is "they" and which way is "their way"? :dknow:

When a Community Advisor and competitor personally calls you a liar and a thief and then the moderators tells you in PM that the accusation is justified, but gives you warnings and infractions when you call rhetorical questions meant to convey the same meaning as a "stupid question," and then chalk up the question as due to lack of industry knowledge, because that is "not friendly," something is wrong.

Something is indeed wrong when certain things and references are taken out of context.

In close to 10 years of me running this community, this is the first time ever that someone finds themselves in this position. I think thousands of other members can attest whether we run the community fairly or unfairly. Or how we try to develop and retain personal relationships with our members. Or how many hundreds of times we'd send a Private Message with request to correct something rather than issuing warnings or infractions. Sure, compared to other communities, instead of issuing infractions and cleaning up every argumentative discussion, we let people do a little more talking, especially when discussions get more heated. And that is exactly what attracts many people to this community - an ability to have a little more freedom in expressing your opinions. But we don't penalize people for a difference of opinion, but if they choose to leave the community based on that, well, that is their right.

I have also mentioned in my PM that anyone can join and/or leave the community at any time. This is not a tyranny.

I will admit I have not been as active as I was when I joined. Mainly because one member was getting on my nerves and I did want to risk saying anything that might get me in trouble so I just stopped being as active. I am not going to name the member so do not even ask. I do have some good friends I met on here most of which I talk to in PM on here.

I came here for much the same reason you did, well that and it was recommended to me from some one on WHT as I think I mentioned in my intro. I will say it is less active then WHT and considering I have only had issues with one member I do like it better then WHT. On WHT I think there are several members that I do not get along with. One that owns a web hosting review site. I remember having arguments with him, the owner of downtown host even had arguments with him. I can not admit it on that site but I am friends with the owner of downtownhost. The reason I can not mention it there is it means I can not review them. Although I no longer have their hosting, I did at one time though.

Any way I know what it is like to run a site and how hard it is to deal with hostility. It is some times hard to deal with as some times the discussion is just one of opinions even though they get heated at times. However if you start banning or warning people it can also cause members and they will consider you very strict. Although the opposite can happen as well. I have actually been called too nice on my site. However when I see heated arguments I try and cool it down with out warning people. If things get too out of control I will warn people. It is rare but I have been people. Normally that is if they continue to cause issues.

I hope you change your mind but I do know how you feel.

Last edited:
I have to admit now a days it is hard to find a community with no bashing. Oftentimes, people are simply searching for knowledge, and instead, receive sarcastic and facetious answers. It is a shame too, because most times it just drives people away, such as in this case. Left Unmoderated, this behavior ends up ruining the community, sinking the ship so to speak.

Sidular, I hope you do end up continuing to contribute on this forum, and lets hope that things improve from here. Sure, the reality is forums are open to discussion, but IMHO when a stalemate is reached where no agreement can be reached, I think intervention is the only way to put an end to it.

I have to admit now a days it is hard to find a community with no bashing. Oftentimes, people are simply searching for knowledge, and instead, receive sarcastic and facetious answers. It is a shame too, because most times it just drives people away, such as in this case. Left Unmoderated, this behavior ends up ruining the community, sinking the ship so to speak.

Sidular, I hope you do end up continuing to contribute on this forum, and lets hope that things improve from here. Sure, the reality is forums are open to discussion, but IMHO when a stalemate is reached where no agreement can be reached, I think intervention is the only way to put an end to it.
Yep I lost a few members over an argument about a game. Actually it was more of an argument on how to play a game. I actually lost a lot of members over that.

Who is "they" and which way is "their way"? :dknow:

Something is indeed wrong when certain things and references are taken out of context.

In close to 10 years of me running this community, this is the first time ever that someone finds themselves in this position. I think thousands of other members can attest whether we run the community fairly or unfairly. Or how we try to develop and retain personal relationships with our members. Or how many hundreds of times we'd send a Private Message with request to correct something rather than issuing warnings or infractions. Sure, compared to other communities, instead of issuing infractions and cleaning up every argumentative discussion, we let people do a little more talking, especially when discussions get more heated. And that is exactly what attracts many people to this community - an ability to have a little more freedom in expressing your opinions. But we don't penalize people for a difference of opinion, but if they choose to leave the community based on that, well, that is their right.

I have also mentioned in my PM that anyone can join and/or leave the community at any time. This is not a tyranny.

People make mistakes, even the forum moderators. I know the Mods sometimes looks like and "Evil creatures" ;) but they have to review thousands of threads and posts every days and many of them a volunteers. I do not mean HD moderators, it is like that in other forums as well. Someone might lost their patience, this things happen. Let's keep the fella in the community and to keep focusing on web hosting related topics?

But we don't penalize people for a difference of opinion, but if they choose to leave the community based on that, well, that is their right.

I don't know anyone that has left or threatened to leave due to a mere difference of opinion. Certainly not anyone in this thread.