Florida

Reyner

Hi all,

My wife and I are trying to find a good place to live for a long term, and Florida is one of the state that we like. (Nice weather, beach, etc).

Where we are now is cold (Iowa), but the people are super friendly and nice. Very low crime rate as well. One time, I forgot to close my garage door for 2 nights and nothing's missing! Even the police here are great! And I personally like it here, but I also thinking about our parents and we want to live close to them when they retire (my parents don't like cold weather).

Have you any experience about these places:
1. Boca Raton (seems nice, but sounds expensive)
2. Coral Springs (closer to Miami)
3. Sunshine (don't know)

Any thoughts on crime rates, education, etc?

Reyner said:
1. Boca Raton (seems nice, but sounds expensive)
2. Coral Springs (closer to Miami)
3. Sunshine (don't know)
I'm from Palm Beach County (lived in Jupiter, Lake Worth, and Miami), but I don't know much about the 3 you mentioned. I can say that Jupiter is a great place to live (on the border of PBC and Martin County, right on the east coast next to the beach). It's not too expensive either (but not cheap). It's about 30 minutes away from WPB and 1.5 hours from Miami.

I've got some friends that live in Boca and they seem to like it. I don't know how expensive it is down there, but I would imagine it's not cheap. PBC in general is an expensive place to live (for the most part, there are cheap and ghetto places like everywhere else). Same applies for Broward (Ft Lauderdale) and Dade (Miami) counties. You can find great places to live without spending a lot of money down there. Quality of living is pretty nice. :) :) Jobs pay well too.

I miss it.

Allera,

Thank you very much for your valuable input. I heard that FL in general is a great place for retirement as well. I'd imagine that the hospital and medical must be very good if not excellent. What do you think about technology?

:)

Technology as in? If you mean Cable and DSL, I was one of the very few in the US to get cable many years back through Adelphia Cable. We had about 4 or 5 local dialup providers to choose from, as well as the big boys like AOL and Bellsouth. Florida is also one of the most lit-up states I know -- lots of fiber running down here with a few of the backbone providers having data centers here (I know Qwest has one in Tampa). Miami and Orlando are probably the two most lit up cities in Florida.

If you mean consumer technology like SpeedPass at Mobil, yea, we've got that too. :)

I guess you should just come take a long vacation in Florida and check it out for yourself. :) If you steer clear of the old people areas, you'll have a blast. Otherwise, you'll be stuck driving behind a cottonhead driving 30 in a 45 (it's quite aggravating).

Wow, that's great! I'm glad that communication part has been taken care of. I will definitely need to take vacation to Florida. Sounds like fun :)

Thanks a lot Allera. If you are bored and if you still have story about Florida (cities, university, housing prices, population, etc), I am all ears :)

Housing costs just depend on where you go. You can get one for $60k or a few million (yes, for one house).

Cities? Oh boy. South Florida is full of fun. Then there's Jacksonville, Orlando, Daytona, Tampa/Clearwater. Other than that, a lot of land. I don't like to mention Tallahassee because FSU is rooted there. I'm a UF fan, myself.

As for the hurricanes, the past 2 or 3 years went by w/o anything serious. Hurricanes aren't a big problem here. When one comes through, just board up your house/apt and hope it isn't big when it gets to you. If it is, it could destroy everything like it did to Homestead (Hurricane Andrew) near Miami.

Wow ... have the hurricanes ever destroyed any data center :D

And you said that there's bigger problem than the hurricanes? :eek:

Sun poisoning? I wish we have that much sun in Iowa.

Well, you are always welcome to Iowa whenever you seek a 'cure' for sun poisoning (especially during winter). :D

Thanks a lot Allera!

I have lived in Vero Beach Florida before. Very friendly community with many older folks. Seems like a nice calm low crime rate area. Also only about 1-2 hours from everything at Orlando.

Hi Kyle, thanks for posting. How far is it from Miami? And what county are you in? A friend from Miami recommend me to find a place in Broward like Miramar, etc. Have you heard anything about the area?

Last edited:
Hey Reyner,
Vero Beach is around 1 and half hours -2 hours depending on how fast you drive. So it is quite some distance away from Miami. The few times I did goto Miami I noticed their are nice areas and real bad areas but no places really in between. I called some friends up asking about the area you asked about and those I guess are nice and safe places but can be pricy. Hope I helped.

Thank you for the information Kyle. It seems that FL is very nice according to many. I would probably miss the white christmas, but the weather is much milder for my parents if I move there.

Oh, and I love old folks (regardless the way they drive)! Most old people I know are very sweet :)

Actually believe it or not the or not the older people in Florida drive quite fast. They are much faster than here in the north like Ohio. So I think you would would love to live there and yes al the elder people there make you feel like you have hundreds of grandparents.:D