Fire Has Destroyed OVH’s Strasbourg Data Center (SBG2)

MrTerrence

A fire early Wednesday morning destroyed one of OVH’s Strasbourg data centers and part of a second one.

No OVH, firefighting, or local government services staff members were injured, the company, also known as OVHcloud, said.

More...

yup, SBG 1 and 2 destroyed. Some businesses had their servers in BG 1 and their backups in BG 2 or the inverse so it's pretty bad for some.

Some businesses had their servers in BG 1 and their backups in BG 2 or the inverse so it's pretty bad for some.
That is bad management by these businesses and this shows why you should never have your main server and backup servers in the same location.

One 1 good thing comes out of this, the amount of spam OVH send out will be reduced as 80% of OVH spam i have received comes from these DCs

That is bad management by these businesses and this shows why you should never have your main server and backup servers in the same location.

One 1 good thing comes out of this, the amount of spam OVH send out will be reduced as 80% of OVH spam i have received comes from these DCs

As I say, buy cheap buy twice, something seriously wrong for it to set on fire and containers, my god, wouldn't be putting my customers in containers think their container concept just went boom.

Besides they don't even sell real dedicated servers, just 8 micros in one chassis. Many following suit.

As I say, buy cheap buy twice, something seriously wrong for it to set on fire and containers, my god, wouldn't be putting my customers in containers think their container concept just went boom.

Besides they don't even sell real dedicated servers, just 8 micros in one chassis. Many following suit.
lat time I reported spam direct to them I got a rude email back telling me to stop sending them these abuse-email reports otherwise my email will be blocked
To me, I have the right to report any spam to the originator of the IP used, this rude email to me would imply they are behind the spam.
But yes nothing wrong with having your main server and backup server with the same company, but make sure they are in different datacentres.

lat time I reported spam direct to them I got a rude email back telling me to stop sending them these abuse-email reports otherwise my email will be blocked
To me, I have the right to report any spam to the originator of the IP used, this rude email to me would imply they are behind the spam.
But yes nothing wrong with having your main server and backup server with the same company, but make sure they are in different datacentres.

OVH always been the torrent and spam home of the web to be fair, that's what puts me off using it for any production as emails are generally banned from most of their IP's.

It makes them a ton of money though so.... OVH are not the worst and not the best, but IMO not suitable for reliable long term service for serious businesses, clearly reflects in the types of clients on their networks.