EU Cookie Law

TheBoss

How many comply with the EU Cookie Law? I run a forum and it seems self-evident that cookies are required for the forum to work. It seems foolish to put a banner stating the obvious.

It is not clear to me that the EU laws apply to USA websites. How do they even have jurisdiction? I do not target folks from the EU. I was around long before the EU law. It all just seems crazy.

What can they do to me for not complying?

It seems foolish to put a banner stating the obvious.

Being from the EU (sort of - UK :D ) I agree with you completely. I think it's one of the worst laws we have seen.

It does seem that almost every website is now showing a cookie notice even those from the US.

Like with a lot of laws, there is a lot of foolish things we have to do, but as long as you use a small banner that doesn't interfere with your website design, it shouldn't matter :) I think most people subconsciously just 'accept' these banners anyway.

Being from the EU (sort of - UK :D ) I agree with you completely. I think it's one of the worst laws we have seen.

It does seem that almost every website is now showing a cookie notice even those from the US.

yup, they are pointless as they are linked to nothing, you click no and nothing happens

The law applies to your websites EU based users (i.e. you only need to show it to anybody that is visiting your site from an EU state).
In my opinion, having these popup warnings when I visit a site is a nuisance & the EU should have done more to deal with the companies they were really chasing with regards this, which are big tech like Google, Amazon, eBay, Facebook, Twitter, etc. tracking users across sites, but there you go.
Nowadays, most people just click 'OK', no matter what, so it's kind of irrelevant.