Enhancing credibility and trust

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
In an era where we’re being warned to avoid certain websites as they may infect your computer with all sorts of malware, it’s important to convey credibility at first glance. Let’s face it, the design of your site directly relates to the perception of your firm or organization.

Your thoughts on just how important professional website design is to the success of an online business.

The biggest item that we've found lends to credibility is REAL pictures. Avoid stock photos as much as possible, or at least customize them a litlte. Every person with a website uses the same stock photos for live chat, a server rack, and pretty much has the same website design (navigation, Hero Image, 3 plans, testimonial, footer). I'm not saying that formula doesn't work, but there's nothing about it that makes you stand out compared to the others - unless you offer interaction that others do not.

Credibility can also be achieved via a story. Text and Content are important, and grammar is right up at the top of the list too. But I think the biggest credibility end of things, at least from my end, is real pictures.

Truth & honesty should go without saying, but this falls into a gray area with businesses all the time. A 1 man shop uses the word "we" and "our team" and this may not be incorrect as if they're using an LLC or registered company, then they are (legally) their own person that pays taxes etc. And in hosting, especially someone offering 24/7 support, there's confidence in knowing there's a team behind things. That said, if every helpdesk ticket, sale and every communication comes from a single person, the client will find out soon enough that it's just one person running things. ***** do not, under any circumstances, create fake staff bios, signatures, or support names ***** This could actually lead to a "false/misleading advertising" lawsuit depending how aggressive someone wants to get.

The biggest item that we've found lends to credibility is REAL pictures. Avoid stock photos as much as possible, or at least customize them a litlte. Every person with a website uses the same stock photos for live chat, a server rack, and pretty much has the same website design (navigation, Hero Image, 3 plans, testimonial, footer). I'm not saying that formula doesn't work, but there's nothing about it that makes you stand out compared to the others - unless you offer interaction that others do not.

Credibility can also be achieved via a story. Text and Content are important, and grammar is right up at the top of the list too. But I think the biggest credibility end of things, at least from my end, is real pictures.

Truth & honesty should go without saying, but this falls into a gray area with businesses all the time. A 1 man shop uses the word "we" and "our team" and this may not be incorrect as if they're using an LLC or registered company, then they are (legally) their own person that pays taxes etc. And in hosting, especially someone offering 24/7 support, there's confidence in knowing there's a team behind things. That said, if every helpdesk ticket, sale and every communication comes from a single person, the client will find out soon enough that it's just one person running things. ***** do not, under any circumstances, create fake staff bios, signatures, or support names ***** This could actually lead to a "false/misleading advertising" lawsuit depending how aggressive someone wants to get.
I agree. I am a 1 man band and have always made sure my clients are aware of this and that I don't provide 24/7 live support. I also use managed servers, so will use the words 'we' and 'our team' as I have the support of the server admins to help me out which clients are also made aware of as transparency is a key in this or any business