Does changing the root password effect clients?

Can I change the root password as many times as I want without effecting client accounts?

I would like to change it more often for security reasons but want to make sure it wont effect anything running on the server.

It does not affect the users at all. You should also setup a non root user used to shell into your server then su - for root. Good idea to disable remote logins. There are some howto's at forums.ev1servers.com

Hmm,

I have heard that if you change the Root Password via Cpanel the Resellers Accounts Passwords will be Changed, I'm not sure, since I change it via SSH :)

~Francisco

cPanel would probably use the same method to change the password as you do through SSH youself, as many things in WHM is like that.
I dont see how or why WHM would change the password for resellers though if you change the root password.
Dont see a reasoning that WHM would want to do that as it just causes problems with all resellers know having access to their accounts, and I doubt it would make all resellers have the root password ;) hehe

Not true, it changes the password for the username "root" and the resellers have there own username so totally un-related.

There are simularities from root and a reseller but still not the same.

MaTriX said:
Hmm,

I have heard that if you change the Root Password via Cpanel the Resellers Accounts Passwords will be Changed, I'm not sure, since I change it via SSH :)

~Francisco

Also worth rememerbing it won't change the mysql root password but then again its a good idea to have them setup differently

Rgds

Rus

Thats a very good point Rus.
That was something I thought about when i started out hosting because if the root password changed the mysql root password it would effect the running of other things on the server

Hehe - first fall to MaTriX - good one to remember as well is sometimes when you have to do a MySQL db restore it can be owned by MySQL not the user - DOH! logged in as root :rolleyes:

Yes, you can change the root password as often as you want without affecting other users' accounts on the system. The root password is the password that grants administrator privileges on the system, and changing it will not affect the accounts of other users unless they also use the root password to log in. It is generally a good idea to change the root password regularly to confirm that your system remains secure. A robust and unique password for the root account is also essential to prevent unauthorized access.