Do you submit your company to hosting directories?

BlackStorm

Do you submit your hosting company to the hosting directories?
Do you find they work?
Do you get much traffic from them? Do you know if many people signup that come from a directory?

I've submitted when I first started PierHosting.com to a few different directories.. I did not find they did anything for me at all so I did not even bother signing up again after I changed it all around and split it up into two companies.

If HTnet had one though, I would deffinatly submit.

I am in a few, most were from clients giving the hosting a review. I can't say that I notice alot of traffic coming from them though..

I generally dont post our services into hosting directories. There are normally hundreds of companies listed on those services, so its like picking a needle out of a hay stack.

I prefer to advertise locally with brochures / client referrals / word of mouth.

Word of mouth has worked the best for me.. I find the directories, internet ads and even the famous WHT does not work too well, at least not for me. Seems people always go with the cheaper host, which is usually only better when prices are compared. They usually lack support and quality.

People who have never had a host before often chose to go cheep no matter what. They want to see if it's worth spending more money on.

People who have never had a host before often chose to go cheep no matter what. They want to see if it's worth spending more money on.
I think thats very true gooooogle, most people do go for the cheapest option and some still do it even after they have been hosting for a while.

Many dont mind staying with a host while they are getting a great deal then moving on if that host dies or they start charging more.

There are still some that want a host that offers higher quality service though.
WHT and most other sites have prices far too low for most companies to compete with but theres no way to stop this, hosts are always going to charge less to get one customer if they are there for a fast buck...

Yeah I don't really like trying to get clients from WHT.. people always looking for dirt cheap to free hosting, and you always get them companies that charge like $0.15 per gb space, and then go out of business a few months later.

The only thing I really like going to WHT for is selling dedicated servers and IRCd accounts when I see someone looking for them.

Too bad people would not just do a little research before they bought the cheapest hosting they could find though.

I am considering submitting my listing to web hosting directories to get in some traffic to my website. Although I know that it might not get a lot of traffic in since it would be a free listing but I am definitely considering it.

<!--QuoteBegin-Vovex Technology+Oct 15 2003, 06:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Vovex Technology @ Oct 15 2003, 06:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I generally dont post our services into hosting directories. There are normally hundreds of companies listed on those services, so its like picking a needle out of a hay stack.

I prefer to advertise locally with brochures / client referrals / word of mouth. [/b][/quote]
That is truly :rolleyes:

Well it is true that there are a lot of companies in hosting directories but you never one day you might just get one...and plus it is FREE advertising so there is nothing we are losing :) However I prefer local advertisement as well ;)

We have listed our plans with alot of directpries. Not alot of traffic from them, but overall, worth the time to put in.

We get traffic from various different directories every month. Word of mouth and referrals are still our bread and butter, but a bonus customer or 2 from the directories once in awhile doesnt hurt either :)

<!--QuoteBegin-gooooogle+Oct 15 2003, 02:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gooooogle @ Oct 15 2003, 02:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> People who have never had a host before often chose to go cheep no matter what. They want to see if it's worth spending more money on. [/b][/quote]
That is truy man :)

I have submitted to a lot of directories. I don't really see anything from them.

I have seen the local market be more profitable and worth the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tombarko8