Displaying US Bank Account details on website

rectified

Hey Guys
I'm from India and I've recently setup a C-Corp in US and not much familiar how banking works in US.

I wanted to know if it is safe to display bank account details on website as some clients might want to pay by bank transfer ?

I even have company in Singapore and i display bank account details on website but for US i've been reading there is direct debit facility in which anybody can directly send an order to Bank and transfer funds

But i really don't understand how can somebody transfer funds from bank without authorisation from bank account holder

So i wanted to know if it's safe or not ?

Thanks

I'm with Steve. I don't think that's a good idea. Your payment processor should be able to process bank transfer payments for you.

This is a really good question and one that seems to be based on many different opinions.

I actually walked into my bank and asked this exact question to staff and they didn't have a clear answer for me.

Many companies do provide you with their banks sort code/account number and name to do transfers. If you do decide to go this route (I'm not recommending either way, you will have to decide) do not add it on your website so everyone including the search engines can see it. You should provide it only to those who have created a order and are ready to pay using bank transfer.

Regards,
Jack

We wouldn't post it publicly as well, customers who wants to pay via transfer can submit a ticket to obtain the bank account details.

Well the bank answer is not clear, at first they said we should give it to trusted client/vendor and then they said we can do it else how will the client pay

But from what i read i understand it's like posting your card details on website where anybody can misuse it but all you can do is file a dispute/chargeback and have it reversed

In my opinion the best way would be to get a business account first. If you intend on putting up a personal account go to the bank and get a business account.

Once you have one, putting the routing details etc on the invoice should be ok. Not exactly on your website but on the invoice which if using WHMCS, will only show your bank details if they select the relevant payment method.

As long as you're just putting the details they need to route money in you should be fine. Probably best for them to make a note / comment stating the invoice ID so you can easily match everything up.

Well the bank answer is not clear, at first they said we should give it to trusted client/vendor and then they said we can do it else how will the client pay

But from what i read i understand it's like posting your card details on website where anybody can misuse it but all you can do is file a dispute/chargeback and have it reversed

If you're posting the routing numbers (or in the UK: name, account number and sort code) then all they can do is route money into your account. They can't take any out with those details. You want to prevent any abuse as possible though as not all money transfers are legitimate. Limiting this to clients who have expressed intent to pay via bank transfer would probably be the best route.

In my opinion the best way would be to get a business account first. If you intend on putting up a personal account go to the bank and get a business account.

Once you have one, putting the routing details etc on the invoice should be ok. Not exactly on your website but on the invoice which if using WHMCS, will only show your bank details if they select the relevant payment method.

As long as you're just putting the details they need to route money in you should be fine. Probably best for them to make a note / comment stating the invoice ID so you can easily match everything up.

If you're posting the routing numbers (or in the UK: name, account number and sort code) then all they can do is route money into your account. They can't take any out with those details. You want to prevent any abuse as possible though as not all money transfers are legitimate. Limiting this to clients who have expressed intent to pay via bank transfer would probably be the best route.

Yeah i've done the same, account details are only visible in invoice under WHMCS

There's absolutely no chance I'd have my Account/Bank details on my site. A ticket, or perhaps even live chat would seem more sensible to me.

I wouldn't post it openly, I would only provide it to those that ask for it. I would find a merchant processor that can handle ACH/e-Checks. And if you want to accept wires, it doesn't really make sense for smaller payments, unless they are willing to pay for the wire fees, which can run between $15-30 which most USA banks, and that's to receive them. In my experience, it's a small percentage that will ask to pay this way.

which can run between $15-30 which most USA banks, and that's to receive them.

That is expensive, in the UK my business bank charges 67p ( approx. $0.85) to receive direct bank payments (bank transfers/standing orders) which this is passed onto clients that use this service

You should put the data in the ticket. This allows for a direct approach while not exposing for everyone to see, even non-members the data of your account. Although one has to think about all these charities that expose their accounts everywhere and do not have any issues.