Disaster Recovery, What plans do you have in place?

How you mitigate the risk depends a lot on how valuable your online data is to you. If you're running an eCommerce site, it's extremely critical. If you're running a simple info site, not so much. No matter what, keeping a remote backup copy of your site is highly recommended given the increased activity of cybercriminals today. If you're running a WordPress site, install a security plugin like WordFence. This won't stop everything, but it sure helps.

Part of disaster recovery begins with not putting your site at risk upfront. Routinely change your passwords. Do not use the same passwords everywhere. Use strong passwords. Do not share passwords. Did I say passwords? :)

How you mitigate the risk depends a lot on how valuable your online data is to you. If you're running an eCommerce site, it's extremely critical. If you're running a simple info site, not so much. No matter what, keeping a remote backup copy of your site is highly recommended given the increased activity of cybercriminals today. If you're running a WordPress site, install a security plugin like WordFence. This won't stop everything, but it sure helps.

Part of disaster recovery begins with not putting your site at risk upfront. Routinely change your passwords. Do not use the same passwords everywhere. Use strong passwords. Do not share passwords. Did I say passwords? :)

I'm not quite sure? Sounded like you said password? lol, yes ofcourse that's one method, and should be done periodically regardless, some organizations do it, as soon as new data is inserted into their database using a stored procedure. However keeping a remote backup at all times is highly recommended. The fact still remains, most are not really tech savvy.

In terms of backups we use R1Soft backups across the board. These are taken daily with a 14 day retention backed up to 2 separate off site locations. On top of that we also use the standard cPanel & WHM FTP backup tool. Many would say that's over kill but we've heard many horror stories in the past and we just don't want to take that risk.

Harry

R1SOFT is pretty much the standard, we go with hourly backups with load balancing on two servers as well. Symantec backup exec is pretty good also.

I'm agree with all. :)

Keeping backups at remote locations, frequently updating the passwords are the most common way to avoid such disaster.

While resetting password, general advise is make sure to set strong password that is it should be combination of capital-small letters, numbers and special symbols. ( It's too common advise but has high importance. :) )

Cloud backup, R1Soft backups are the options you can try.

Just echoing what has already been said.. we take backups daily and ship them off to 2 remote locations.

What would you guys suggest a retention period?

14 days have been mentioned in the post but this feels quite excessive. I would be interested to hear what others go with.

In terms of backups we use R1Soft backups across the board. These are taken daily with a 14 day retention backed up to 2 separate off site locations. On top of that we also use the standard cPanel & WHM FTP backup tool. Many would say that's over kill but we've heard many horror stories in the past and we just don't want to take that risk.

Harry

When there is critical data and even if not that important i don't see reason why security isn't over insured. Good strategy, i agree. Loosing data is absolutely devastating.

Hi,

I would like to add in some more points to the conversation:

Before you plan a disaster recovery management, first thing you should think of what can be done to avoid disaster recovery.

The thing you can implement is having a RAID setup. The first and the foremost thing that leads to disaster recovery phase is the hardware issue, like Hard-drive crash, motherboard failure, etc.

There is not much you can do when its Motherboard failure. However, you can do things in terms for Hard drive failure and the thing I am talking about is a RAID. You can either have a hardware RAID or a software RAID.

Suppose you have a server with RAID-1 setup, so you have 2 disks configured that the exact replica of data on them, so if one disk fails, the data is still online from the other data, giving your enough time to actually replace the failed drive and initiate the data replication in the RAID array.

There will be less-to-no instance where both the disk will fail at the same time.

RAID should be considered the first point when planning a disaster recovery management for data..

Seconds is you can have data backed up at different location you want that would be available when and as needed.

Different backup solutions are available depending on what data structure your server has. R1soft backup can give you replica of your server..

Yes. It is always better to be safe than worry... After all, we provide service to the client, so primary objective is their satisfaction.

The topic says it all. This can be a very serious problem: How to you mitigate the risk?

It does really depend on what you need to backup and how much data you need to be backup,

For a website keeping an up to date backup in multiple place is good enough for most,

For an hosting business its a different matter, RAID is a must and either you have the server backup to a backup server and possibly mirror it again after that.

Then again it depend on the scale and your requirements of data recoverability, For critical data we do use mirroring and still the old tape backup.

Hello,

As SenseiSteve said it depends on how much you value your data.
The most secure solution would be to have a second infra in another DC with replications + isolated backup system like R1soft (has been said but it clearly a good exemple).

What else, the less people have access the better it is.
Do not use public computer, public wifi and use a secure remote connexion.
Always keep your systems up to date and keep an eye on security holes news.

Keep using recent techonologies even if it means migration.

Using preprod might also avoid a disaster.

Use firewall and mitigation systems internal or external.

That's it but the more difficult is not to find solutions, it's to find the balance between security and costs.

regards

You must have several tips present

* A fast website with great content
* A Blog updated permanently
* Build Backlinks, I recommend initially fiver concerts
* Guidelines on Websites with high pagerank

Good luck

Blessings

When there is critical data and even if not that important i don't see reason why security isn't over insured. Good strategy, i agree. Loosing data is absolutely devastating.

Agreed! I remember this one time when we first started in 2011 everything was pretty tight with our budget so money was spent elsewhere. Needless to say, I think you know where this story is going - There was a server crash, HDD failure. It was a reseller server that was not properly backed up. We had tremendous blow back and lost more revenue trying to MAKE up for everything rather than spending on backup software. Point of the story : BACK UP your Data!

I manually backup my database everytime I make a new blog post or edit something. After doing any little change to wordpress I would go into cpanel to backup my database. I backup the blog files/directory every week.