Did you do a business plan when starting out?

BlackStorm

Did you do a business plan before you started a hosting company?
Did it help you much with getting started?
Did you have to change it around much as you progressed and were you ahead or behind the rough schedule you had for your company on the plan?

I dont think most people starting out now do a business plan and I think its very important to have one, it really helps you with the company because you have a clear idea of the route you are going

Well we had a "rough" plan of what we were going to do and how we were going to do it.. I think it helped keep us on track and organized rather than us thinking "what do we do now?" We just worked and aimed at a rough date, hoping to be ready by then and I found it really worked good.. still like keeping to some things even now.

As you guys know I am NEW to the hosting industry and hence I did do al ot of research and along with that I did a business plan with my partner...I guess it helps to have one because it is like a blueprint kind of think with guidelines...:)

Anyone that doesnt have a "business plan" isnt doing their part, in my eyes. I spent several weeks preparing the business.

Getting my site designed, setting pricing costs, making sure i had invoice/billing software that was designed towards my needs, business growth plans etc.

Of course you cant plan for everything. So plans are always modified/changed depending on how the business is going.