Delay/Pause on Page Loads

HostingDirect

I have a friend who has a cpanel box that has 1.6 gig P4, 512 Ram, Red hat 7.2, 7200 IDE drives and little to no load. He is having a significant delay in down loading any page from his server over the net. The network has no packet loss and a 60 ms ping time. Pages seem to have a significant delay/pause no matter if it is a basic HTML page or a PHP sys info page.

He also notices when he SSH's into the box the user prompt comes back fairly fast but there is a significant delay getting the password prompt.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the significant page delay? Once the page starts it seems to load at a reasonable rate.

dns probs

It could be that in the resolve.conf file, the first nameserver listed is not responding, perhaps it hasn't been set yet (or is not running/not configured correctly).

If this is the problem, then there will be a ten second delay while the server does a reverse lookup on the incoming IP address for apache (if host lookups are set to on).

I hope this helps,

Cheers,
Infinite :D

Re: dns probs

infinite said:
It could be that in the resolve.conf file, the first nameserver listed is not responding, perhaps it hasn't been set yet (or is not running/not configured correctly).

If this is the problem, then there will be a ten second delay while the server does a reverse lookup on the incoming IP address for apache (if host lookups are set to on).

I hope this helps,

Cheers,
Infinite :D

And the winner is "infinite"

It actually turned out that the Cpanel distributor has left the cpanel name servers in the list 1st and they were non-responsive so it is now fixed.

Thanks,