Datacenter in Home? only 1 Server

kunnusingh

Hello,

I know, not possible to Build a Data Center for common peoples.

But It Is possible to Running a One Dedicated Server in Home using DSL 20Mbps - 50Mbps speed with Dedicated IP.

Its good for small host who run few sites on VPS.

How Is It possible? What I need to to convert my Dream in Truth?

I know good option is co-location but own Dedicated Server is better(solve any problem at anytime)

You'll need to have multiple connections for the internet hub. What kind of cooling are you going to be doing? What kind of security is there on the room/building? Power consumption? Backup hardware on hand? what happens when you're on vacation?

Co-Location would be recommended. Many smaller Colocation providers have offices on site that you can rent also, so you're right there beside your servers when needed too.

I'd be very wary operating in a method like this. There's a number of threads here in the forum where people are operating servers from their homes, and what the costs and problems are faced by doing something like that.

I would say its probably just cheaper to co-locate. When its at home theres risks with security, backups, the internet coming in, and the biggest thing price.

I would say it would cost a lot more for just the internet alone then what you would pay for everything at a datacenter.

You'll need to have multiple connections for the internet hub. What kind of cooling are you going to be doing? What kind of security is there on the room/building? Power consumption? Backup hardware on hand? what happens when you're on vacation?

Co-Location would be recommended. Many smaller Colocation providers have offices on site that you can rent also, so you're right there beside your servers when needed too.

I'd be very wary operating in a method like this. There's a number of threads here in the forum where people are operating servers from their homes, and what the costs and problems are faced by doing something like that.

Agreed. Running a "datacenter" is just not profitable nor safe from any standpoint unless for some reason you have redundant power supplies from two different sources and plenty of bandwidth.

Colocating would be the smarter and more cost effective thing to do. Look for a colocation center near you on http:/datacentermap.com

Better safe then sorry! :)

You would need a few things. Go on google and search your qustion up im sure you'll find a lot of results. Good Luck on your search :)

Hello,

I know, not possible to Build a Data Center for common peoples.
But It Is possible to Running a One Dedicated Server in Home using DSL 20Mbps - 50Mbps speed with Dedicated IP.
Its good for small host who run few sites on VPS.
How Is It possible? What I need to to convert my Dream in Truth?
I know good option is co-location but own Dedicated Server is better(solve any problem at anytime)
So kunnusingh, where are you in converting your dream into truth? Still considering this?

It Is possible to Running a One Dedicated Server in Home using DSL 20Mbps - 50Mbps speed with Dedicated IP.

Does your DSL provider *allow* it ?
Do they traffic shape, port-block or filter ?
What is your upload speed ?

Is it possible - maybe.
Should you do it - no.

Its not a horrible idea if done for testing or personal use.

But for a production server, or one you plan on profiting off of it seems like you made a good choice to go co-located.

You can get a cheap dedicated server in a decent datacenter for as low as $45 a month. Hard to beat that. Also, web servers need uplink speed, and DSL/Cable has very low uplink speed. Go with a colocation or dedicated on a 100mbit line.

Colocation is definitely the solution. It's always best to let someone else handle the environment, infrastructure, and headaches of dealing with logistics. This is especially true if it's just one server. You can co locate a server now for less than it costs to have internet in your home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tombarko8