data center

rakesh_88

Some people say it is possible to start a server in home itself is there any one who has done so what all things should i have to do so

It's entirely possible to do a server at your home.
The only thing is:
1) Home internet speeds
2) Typically one upstream provider
3) Power outages happen, do you have UPS or generators?
4) Do you have a dedicated IP?
5) It's cheaper to co-lo.

People host from home a lot. I wouldn't do it for mission-critical or production things. Most people that I know who have done it do it as an experiment.

Unless its for leisure, I would discourage you from a home hosted production server. You will need a very stable internet connection, Very stable power suply with backups, A cooling system of some nature etc etc. Those will make hosting your own server at home tricky if you are using it for business. If you have the hardware get a data centre near you and have colocation. If you have no hardware or have no data centre near you try leasing a server instead.

It seems to be missing from this thread so: If you consider anything at home (which I highly discourage) ensure you check with your ISP first -- Contact them, read their terms etc.

This sort of thing is normally forbidden on standard packages.

The thing you are looking for is called unmanaged dedicated servers.

I would recommend looking for a provider in Bangalore, it is the Silicon Valley of India and you can find very competitive prices there.

If its for fun only you can make experiments at home but keep in mind what Alex - A2hosting said about the ISP rule. If you really need to use server for your business just find some cheap shared or VPS to start with.

It seems to be missing from this thread so: If you consider anything at home (which I highly discourage) ensure you check with your ISP first -- Contact them, read their terms etc.

This sort of thing is normally forbidden on standard packages.

True because especially on shared ISP plans it tends to violate the fair usage policy.

Some people say it is possible to start a server in home itself is there any one who has done so what all things should i have to do so
Sure, it's possible to start a server in your home, but I certainly would not recommend doing that for production purposes. For experimental use, this is ideal. There are way too many liabilities to do this commercially.

A decent VPS would be better than running a server over broadband and is likely to cost not a lot more than the electricity of the PC you would have running at home.

If you want to try it at home, you will need plenty of spares, a UPS (and maybe a generator) a fast internet connection (fast upload, not just download), with port 25 open, for email. A firewall router where you can add additional ACLs for your customers.

If you get any kind of DoS, let along DDoS, you are hard down.

Some of our biggest servers only average 30-40 Mb/s, so you will be surprised how much you could do on a home connection, but customers are hard won and easily lost, so ensure you have a good SLA with your provider. A residential contract won't cut it. Any customer down for a day will be looking to leave ASAP.

I would recommend hosting with a datacenter.

You will most likely avoid numerous issues by not hosting the server at home such as uptime.

Is there any server leasing provider in India

Do you have any specific server spec and budget in mind?

In India there are many companies which lease server.
I would suggest you to decide on your server specs and budget. This will help you to compare and take the right decision.

Ya hosting a home server is dangerous. It can open your entire home network to attackers. I have a home server but It is only for my house so I can hold development project I have offline.

You plan may be profitable if your have dark fiber to your home. Outsider only can meansure your network, but not power. haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tombarko8