Cron Jobs

GamesCreation

If I set up a cron job to run every 15 minutes to update stats for an online game, do you think this would use much bandwidth or cause problems on the server?

Well, i think that is may put a load on your server/ram depending on how big a database of stats there is and such. And how powerful or a server it is.

As running a Cron every 15min for something big may put great strain on the server.

mabey run the cron once and see how the server holds up to it. then decied from there if it is capable of doing it every 15 minutes.

Well the script by itself running from the browser says it took 2 seconds to create the page, and that was with a database of 623 users.

Think that would be ok? Or is there more strain that what is shown in the generation time?

If its only taking 2 seconds i think it would be fine. i would check on your server to make sure it is doing fine though for the first few hours of running it every 15mintures. just to make sure its not gonna make your server crash.

Oh, this is not on your own server. I though it was. Your on a shared hosting account? Yea i think its fine to do then, If you are with a decent hosting comapny they would contact you first and ask you to stop the cron before canceling your account.

Yep, i would hope so. as long as you didnt go for one of those most space.bandwidth for the cheapest you will be alright.

Ok, so that means that there servers are in a good datacenter and on a good server. That doesnt mean that the people running it are nice. How has the support been? Has it been good? If so i dont think you need to worry to much.

Mabey you should open a support ticket asking them about running a cron and what they would do.

Oh ok, cool. I would think you will be alright running it then.

lets close this thread now lol. We keep them going for no reason..

KNow what i mean?

Ps. Check your pm's once and a while Gamescreation.