cPanel ssl or Lets encrypt ssl?

@jessichg cPanel uses both Sectigo (Formally Comodo) and LetsEncrypt for their Auto SSL feature. You can decide which one you want to use from WHM Panel. Both are DV SSL, so there is no major difference between these two brands.

the cpanel Autossl one is actually a Comodo Positive SSL cert, but some systems will still flag these as self cert ssls

As long as a certificate has been issued by a recognized issuer, it doesn't really make any difference what kind of SSL certificate you use. The website is delivered without error messages and the certificates do their job.

I agree with the rest that there is usually a very minimal difference between free SSL and premium SSL in terms of providing data transfer encryption is concerned. However, the difference comes when it comes to the expiry period. For let's encrypt SSLs, one has to reissue them after 90 days while a premium certificate takes a whole year before one reissues.

Different SSL certificates are designed to cover different needs of the clients, for example, there are those that cover the main domain name and addon domain names, or one main domain name and unlimited subdomain names. In any case, it is better to check the features of a particular SSL certificate before making the purchase decision.

I wouldn't pay for a cert to get one that lasts longer than 90 days. This is automated, so the cert renewal is not something you should concern yourself with if your host is decent.
I'd only pay for a certificate where I need to give a good impression.

Either of the big free TLS cert providers, Let's Encrypt or ZeroSSL work perfectly well, and in most cases I don't see any reason to go anywhere else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saranya Subramaniam