cPanel pricing gone up again

HostOX

Think I was under a rock the last few months or forgot to check the card statement.

cPanel pricing has gone up once again?! What on earth is going off, time to rack a new machine up and get DA hosting pushed, going to also have to increase cPanel VPS pricing - Seriously considering dropping offering it.

My bet is WHMCS next.

Didn't DA just raise their pricing as well?

Just looked, sadly looks like they are joining the greed o clock crew. HOWEVER only to the public, our partner VPS rate is still $5 and dedi $14 so no changes partner wise and had no emails.

I am getting a bit sick of these WHMCS, cPanel and DA changing to per account structure - Just sucking away companies profits the bigger they grow they want a taste of the pie.

We are looking to develop all our own control panels and billing system, you can't run a business on annual increases per CUSTOMER it is absolutely shameful.
This cost per account is going to end up effecting end users every single year, cPanel just decided they really wanted to own a percentage per customer of revenue.

Hopefully there is another panel that has good enough feature in the future to be another hosting standard or alternative to choose.

Just around the time the first price hike I was wondering if there was space on the market for a brand new panel. Designed from scratch, for the new generation of clients. cPanel, which has been commonly considered to be one of the best visual experiences, is actually pretty ugly and outdated looking.

Obviously there are a lot of moving parts and it would require a sizeable investment, but what do you think anyway? Is this thinking too outrageous?

Obviously there are a lot of moving parts and it would require a sizeable investment, but what do you think anyway? Is this thinking too outrageous?

I have been thinking a lot about this from a slightly different perspective.

An open source panel that is modern, clean, light, focused on modern standards, and with a high regard for both accessibility and data privacy, etc.

In my imagination it is maintained not by a commercial entity but by a foundation which ensures that it remains open source, transparent and accountable, and can not be sold at any point.

To be fair we are testing out DirectAdmin extended on our Domains brand for email only hosting, everything is built into the WHMCS client area, this is how many large companies have things especially 123reg which our main competitor for that brand.

I could see it being excellent for shared hosting with it all branded and designed into the WHMCS control panel, we will be trialling it for shared customers over HostOx in a few months when we move to our new rack.

Just around the time the first price hike I was wondering if there was space on the market for a brand new panel. Designed from scratch, for the new generation of clients. cPanel, which has been commonly considered to be one of the best visual experiences, is actually pretty ugly and outdated looking.

DA now has a theme that is a complete look a like to cPanel so in reality, cPanel is really going to become obsolete and no longer necessary

In my imagination it is maintained not by a commercial entity but by a foundation which ensures that it remains open source, transparent and accountable, and can not be sold at any point.
That's a fantastic and a very ethical idea. I think finding investors would be more challenging, however. But I get what you are saying.

DA now has a theme that is a complete look a like to cPanel so in reality, cPanel is really going to become obsolete and no longer necessary
Oh how interesting, I am going to take a look what that theme looks like.
I find that a vast majority of cPanel users use only a tiny fraction of functionality that they offer. It may also be the reason why larger companies started to invest in their own panels, it makes total sense long-term.

Think I was under a rock the last few months or forgot to check the card statement.

cPanel pricing has gone up once again?! What on earth is going off, time to rack a new machine up and get DA hosting pushed, going to also have to increase cPanel VPS pricing - Seriously considering dropping offering it.

My bet is WHMCS next.
I don't know anything about it but once I get out of being a reseller I want to move out to VPS or better with C-Panel or other. Resellers Panel has been good to me and I think they have decent prices but there again I haven't checked around much.

This would be nice, but there's no money in it. There are very few companies that would take this on as there's just no payday. You'd need one of the giants to jump in with that, but I don't know who would actually take that on.

@Artashes

I still think there's a market for it, but the price point is the challenge. There are a ton of moving parts, but there's still a market. The big issue is "the race to the bottom" for pricing. I don't think cPanel's pricing is over the top, and I'm one of the few that are happy they moved to a licensing model that allows them to make the money to improve the software (if they do that or not, that's another story). But there were way too many people operating servers and loading 500+ and even 2000+ accounts on a single server, or cluster. I think the pricing also helped the industry as a whole by getting rid of the $1/year type hosts.

Marketing the product would be simple enough - build a better mousetrap and it will sell itself in the hosting world (relatively speaking) - but getting the pricing right, and the features, and the security, that's where the money will be spent!

This would be nice, but there's no money in it. There are very few companies that would take this on as there's just no payday. You'd need one of the giants to jump in with that, but I don't know who would actually take that on.

I still think there's a market for it, but the price point is the challenge. There are a ton of moving parts, but there's still a market. The big issue is "the race to the bottom" for pricing. I don't think cPanel's pricing is over the top, and I'm one of the few that are happy they moved to a licensing model that allows them to make the money to improve the software (if they do that or not, that's another story). But there were way too many people operating servers and loading 500+ and even 2000+ accounts on a single server, or cluster. I think the pricing also helped the industry as a whole by getting rid of the $1/year type hosts.

Marketing the product would be simple enough - build a better mousetrap and it will sell itself in the hosting world (relatively speaking) - but getting the pricing right, and the features, and the security, that's where the money will be spent!
I think one-way cPanel can save costs is the way their support system is set up.

If you have a VPS then through WHM you can request support by cPanel even if you never got your licence through them.
like when I request support vis my WHM i will get this

Partner Supported License
This cPanel license is supported by QuadraNet, Inc..

cPanel support is complimentary to all its valid license holders. However, if you submit a support request with cPanel before contacting QuadraNet, Inc., you may experience a longer resolution time.

https://www.quadranet.com/contact

manage.quadranet.com
but can still request direct support through cpanel.

would it not save them time and money just to block you from getting direct support from them until you have requested this from their partner and if the partner could not help then they give you a ref. you need to provide cPanel. before they will give you support

That's a change that could esasily be implemented. Force the support to go to the reseller's support page.

I can see why cPanel would still want the user to reach out to them correctly. Basically if the cpanel can't figure out the issue, then cPanel could assist. And by providing the direct line of communication, this doesn't give cpanel a bad reputation on the software.

Providers should be forced to take a test to prove competency with the software in order to provide support. After all, they are the first line of defense and possible the only face of the company a client might deal with.

That's a change that could esasily be implemented. Force the support to go to the reseller's support page.

I can see why cPanel would still want the user to reach out to them correctly. Basically if the cpanel can't figure out the issue, then cPanel could assist. And by providing the direct line of communication, this doesn't give cpanel a bad reputation on the software.

Providers should be forced to take a test to prove competency with the software in order to provide support. After all, they are the first line of defense and possible the only face of the company a client might deal with.
Yes, if you going to be a cPanel partner then you should go through some sort of training and exam

It's all good they have made sure WHMCS follows suit of sucking us dry on a per client basis, what's next, capitalism on extreme steroids.

It's all good they have made sure WHMCS follows suit of sucking us dry on a per client basis, what's next, capitalism on extreme steroids.
Oakley Capital has only done exactly the same as they have been running Plesk. First, they started on WHMCS and then onto cPanel